Re: One more dome question

  • Mike Murray
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
      Matthew Linke wrote:

      > How many square feet does a 30 or 40 foot dome (the space the planetarium occupies) take up?

      I had a question similar to this recently. What they were really asking for was the overall "footprint" of a dome if you were to include the theater, projection gallery, entrance/exit vestibules, and outer walls. Is that what you're looking for?

      I've worked in two 40-ft dome planetariums in the past and with the above criteria, I would guess at something like 2300 sq-ft if the outer walls are circular (with entrance/exit vestibules of about 100 sq ft each), 2800 sq-ft if set inside a square footprint. That's also with a generous amount of projection gallery space.

      Just thought I'd offer a SWAG...

      Mike.

      ********************************
      Mike Murray
      Dome Theatre Programs Manager
      Clark Planetarium
      110 South 400 West
      Salt Lake City, UT 84101
      (385) 468-1237
      www.clarkplanetarium.org/distribution
    • stevecooper@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
        I agree with Mr. Murray. If you are building a new space, every foot counts. A few years back, the estimate here in Iowa was $215/sq. ft. That was an over-all planning cost. A square room behind the dome will show more footage, but costs less than a round room. You have to weigh that against the visual impact of the exterior.

        If you pursue this question with the group, I'll follow. If not, I'd luv to be a fly-on-the-wall and see how it goes.