One more dome question

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
      Hi all,

      Thank you to all of you who have provided such valuable information about
      domes and lecture halls. The technical data provided by Philip Groce was
      especially cool. The opinions expressed did not generally vary a whole
      lot.

      I don't know how many 30 and 40 foot domes (of either technology) are out
      there, but I have been asked to follow up with one more question--until
      they think of something else. How many square feet does a 30 or 40 foot
      dome (the space the planetarium occupies) take up? i'm not sure how much
      this will vary, but I can imagine the variables (computer cool room, chair
      storage, etc) that might impact the answer.

      Regards,

      Matt Linke

      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Linke <mlinke@...> wrote:

        > I don't know how many 30 and 40 foot domes (of either technology) are out there,

        You may find the information on our "Tallying the World's Planetarium Attendance" Article to be useful in answering that question:

        http://www.lochnessproductions.com/reference/attendance/attendance.html

        > How many square feet does a 30 or 40 foot dome (the space the planetarium occupies) take up?

        I'm reminded of standing in line at Subway; the person in front of me asked, "How big is a foot-long sandwich?"

        >> Mark
      • Mike Murray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
          Matthew Linke wrote:

          > How many square feet does a 30 or 40 foot dome (the space the planetarium occupies) take up?

          I had a question similar to this recently. What they were really asking for was the overall "footprint" of a dome if you were to include the theater, projection gallery, entrance/exit vestibules, and outer walls. Is that what you're looking for?

          I've worked in two 40-ft dome planetariums in the past and with the above criteria, I would guess at something like 2300 sq-ft if the outer walls are circular (with entrance/exit vestibules of about 100 sq ft each), 2800 sq-ft if set inside a square footprint. That's also with a generous amount of projection gallery space.

          Just thought I'd offer a SWAG...

          Mike.

          ********************************
          Mike Murray
          Dome Theatre Programs Manager
          Clark Planetarium
          110 South 400 West
          Salt Lake City, UT 84101
          (385) 468-1237
          www.clarkplanetarium.org/distribution
        • stevecooper@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
            I agree with Mr. Murray. If you are building a new space, every foot counts. A few years back, the estimate here in Iowa was $215/sq. ft. That was an over-all planning cost. A square room behind the dome will show more footage, but costs less than a round room. You have to weigh that against the visual impact of the exterior.

            If you pursue this question with the group, I'll follow. If not, I'd luv to be a fly-on-the-wall and see how it goes.