Re: Planetaria in Lecture / Conference Halls

  • Philip Groce
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
      Sharon Shanks' assessment is pretty dead on.

      In the 60's and 70's school systems attempted to combine the school
      auditorium with the cafeteria creating "cafetoriums." While adequate
      as cafeterias, they were terrible auditoriums.
      Every day, as a planetarium designer, I have to fight the issue of
      using planetariums as classrooms. They are are always less-than-
      perfect compromises. My biggest issue are folding desks in armrests.
      If the chair backs could stay upright for this usage, it might work.
      However, nothing is less functional than trying to write on a small
      tablet desk when your seat is inclined 35 to 40 degrees. To make
      matters worse, new seating code requires that the row clearances
      include the distance from the front of the desk to the back of the
      seat. This creates minimum, back-to-back distances of around 48".
      This results in a lot fewer rows and fewer seats in the back-half of
      the planetarium. Unfortunately to make up for the lost rows,
      architects are forced to create more terrible-sightline-seats in the
      front-half of the theater.

      Forgetting the cost of projection systems, planetariums are expensive
      classrooms because of the great vertical height they require. In the
      same foot print, an architect can create 2 or three classroom spaces.
      Getting back one of those classrooms in the planetarium is one of the
      reasons why these bad compromises occur. The most successful design
      is to have a dedicated adjacent classroom with equivalent capacity to
      the planetarium.

      This allows classrooms to be classrooms and planetariums to be
      planetariums.

      Phil

      Philip Groce
      Helping Planetariums Succeed, LLC
      619 Orange Street
      Macon, GA 31201
      Voice: 478-750-7870
      Fax: 478-750-7826
      cell: 478-719-0661
      email work: hps4075@...
      email home: groce@...

      On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:24 PM, sharon.shanks wrote:

      Kevin - well said.

      I didn't bring up the tilt or the desks - in my facility, when we got
      new seats during our remodel, there was debate about tilt for the dome
      vs. tilt for the classroom (too much tilt, and it would be even harder
      for the students to take notes and - well, stay awake). Not enough
      tilt, and it was literally painful for planetarium audiences. We
      compromised, and now it's not comfortable for either.

      The desk arms, with 6 some years of use, are now noisy; ADD kids bang
      them against the sides the the chairs. I've started having the field
      trip students put them up; counter-intuitive, but quieter.

      I also don't see the planetarium equipment being used to its best
      potential for the Intro to Astro classes, and often hear students,
      current and former, mention to me at public programs that they "only
      got to see the stars a couple of times," or were shown only parts of
      fulldome programs. The dome is mostly used for PowerPoint lectures.

      A better solution is class in a lecture hall, moved to the planetarium
      when its capabilities are needed. I think Ball State, among others,
      does this.

      However, because YSU does not have many lecture halls with 100+
      seating, this means fewer students per class, and thus a smaller
      "profit per professor" ratio. My situation will never change; all I
      can do is make the best of it.

      Note: this are my opinions, not those of YSU or my colleagues. :)

      Even closer to Kevin's observations: the planetarium at Farrell High
      School (western pennsylvania) - the dome is a better fit to the room,
      but there are still seats that are under the lower ceiling. The desks
      were state of the art 30 years ago, with push-button feed back systems
      that stopped working decades ago. The chairs tilt back. And squeak.
      Can you say rocking chairs?

      In both cases, students see the equipment (at YSU, the projectors and
      the dome; at Farrell, the push buttons) and assume - legitimately, I
      think - that they will be using them or they will be used as part of
      the class.

      At Farrell, explaining that the buttons no longer work is all that it
      needed. Telling them to sit still is harder and sets up a "crime and
      punishment" scenario. At YSU, there is no explaining to Intro to Astro
      students that the equipment that they are being charged a lab fee for
      will be used for maybe a week in total out of a 15 week class.

      Like Kevin pointed out, it's not a question of fulldome projection
      being the province of planetariums. It's a question of trying to force
      a square peg into a round hole - and the bottom budget line.

      Sharon

      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, KDConod wrote:

      I don't think its an issue of being narrow-minded..remember this sort
      of thing (sans the moveable dome) has been tried before. Spitz built a
      number of classroom type planetariums. It was always my impression
      that these were not all that successful. The chairs, which had to
      tilt, made a lot of noise and often broke, plus school groups made a
      lot of noise messing around with the folding tabletops. Then there's
      the issue Sharon brought up.

      Sometimes if you make to many compromises when it comes to
      multipurpose spaces, you end up with a space that is not really good
      for any of its purposes.

      Kevin Conod
      kdconod@...