Re: Planetaria in lectures halls

  • Sharon L Shanks
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
      Not sure about all colleges - but the ones I'm the most familiar with (including my own) resemble a rectangle with a smaller circle on top of it.

      In other words, of our 145 classroom/lecture seats, only about 80 of them allow good/adequate view into the dome. It's a daily headache for me to seat field trip groups, because neither the kids nor their teachers/chaperones understand why I am not "filling the rows" with kids. I also have to explain eternally why a school can't bring 145 kids for one seating, especially 1st or 2nd graders.

      I also feel that use of the room as a lecture hall is hard on it: seats, carpeting, graffiti, trash on the floor. What? you say? College kids are inconsiderate about their classrooms? They're slobs? :)

      It also limits the amount of time the planetarium staff has access for programming.

      Just my views - not necessarily those of my employer (who loves to have all 145 seats filled for class).

      Sharon