Re: Planetaria in lectures halls

  • Andy Dolph
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
      I've never seen one, but I can imagine it would be easy to end up with the
      worst of both worlds - a multi-useless room.

      Andy

      On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Matthew Linke wrote:

      Does anyone have an example of a planetarium that was designed in or as a
      part of a larger lecture hall? Envision a hall of maybe 200 seats, and
      part of that area includes or is covered by a dome? The only one I know of
      is the Queen Mary 2. There's is a 500 seat theater with the dome that
      drops out of the ceiling and covered 120 or so of the theater seats.
      I would be curious what people think of that combined solution.

      Regards,

      Matt Linke
      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
        The planetarium/theatre at the Hermitage in the South Island of NZ is similar, operates as a single stereoscopic film screen and then a dome lowers.
        http://www.hermitage.co.nz/en/conferences/function-venues

        --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Linke wrote:
[...]

      • Mario Di Maggio, DISCOVERY DOME EUROPE
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
          Yes there's one as you describe about to be built in Oxford, England:
          http://bit.ly/oxmagnet
        • Drew
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
            Morehead State Univ in Kentucky. Eric Thomas, Director
            He has a great implementation of this done by SkySkan. Classroom,
            Lecture Hall, tilted-dome hanging above everything.

            See page 7 in this PDF
            http://www.moreheadstate.edu/uploadedFiles/Sites/Main_Sites/Academics/EA\
            SS/Space_Science_Center/Space%20Science%20Center%20Facility%20Overview.p\
            df

            [Whew! Or use http://tinyurl.com/akdonvz --Moderator]

            Drew
            Rauch Planetarium, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY

            --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Linke wrote:

            Hi all,

[...]

          • Sharon L Shanks
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
              Not sure about all colleges - but the ones I'm the most familiar with (including my own) resemble a rectangle with a smaller circle on top of it.

              In other words, of our 145 classroom/lecture seats, only about 80 of them allow good/adequate view into the dome. It's a daily headache for me to seat field trip groups, because neither the kids nor their teachers/chaperones understand why I am not "filling the rows" with kids. I also have to explain eternally why a school can't bring 145 kids for one seating, especially 1st or 2nd graders.

              I also feel that use of the room as a lecture hall is hard on it: seats, carpeting, graffiti, trash on the floor. What? you say? College kids are inconsiderate about their classrooms? They're slobs? :)

              It also limits the amount of time the planetarium staff has access for programming.

              Just my views - not necessarily those of my employer (who loves to have all 145 seats filled for class).

              Sharon