Planetaria in lectures halls

  • Matthew Linke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hi all,

      Does anyone have an example of a planetarium that was designed in or as a
      part of a larger lecture hall? Envision a hall of maybe 200 seats, and
      part of that area includes or is covered by a dome? The only one I know of
      is the Queen Mary 2. There's is a 500 seat theater with the dome that
      drops out of the ceiling and covered 120 or so of the theater seats.
      I would be curious what people think of that combined solution.

      Regards,

      Matt Linke
      --
      Matthew Linke
      Planetarium Director

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
          The planetarium/theatre at the Hermitage in the South Island of NZ is similar, operates as a single stereoscopic film screen and then a dome lowers.
          http://www.hermitage.co.nz/en/conferences/function-venues

          --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Linke wrote:
[...]

        • Mario Di Maggio, DISCOVERY DOME EUROPE
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
            Yes there's one as you describe about to be built in Oxford, England:
            http://bit.ly/oxmagnet
          • Drew
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
              Morehead State Univ in Kentucky. Eric Thomas, Director
              He has a great implementation of this done by SkySkan. Classroom,
              Lecture Hall, tilted-dome hanging above everything.

              See page 7 in this PDF
              http://www.moreheadstate.edu/uploadedFiles/Sites/Main_Sites/Academics/EA\
              SS/Space_Science_Center/Space%20Science%20Center%20Facility%20Overview.p\
              df

              [Whew! Or use http://tinyurl.com/akdonvz --Moderator]

              Drew
              Rauch Planetarium, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY

[...]

            • Sharon L Shanks
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
                Not sure about all colleges - but the ones I'm the most familiar with (including my own) resemble a rectangle with a smaller circle on top of it.

                In other words, of our 145 classroom/lecture seats, only about 80 of them allow good/adequate view into the dome. It's a daily headache for me to seat field trip groups, because neither the kids nor their teachers/chaperones understand why I am not "filling the rows" with kids. I also have to explain eternally why a school can't bring 145 kids for one seating, especially 1st or 2nd graders.

                I also feel that use of the room as a lecture hall is hard on it: seats, carpeting, graffiti, trash on the floor. What? you say? College kids are inconsiderate about their classrooms? They're slobs? :)

                It also limits the amount of time the planetarium staff has access for programming.

                Just my views - not necessarily those of my employer (who loves to have all 145 seats filled for class).

                Sharon