Announcing Nightshade 12

  • Karrie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi all,

      Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc. is excited to announce the first preview release of the universe simulator Nightshade 12. It is now available for Windows and Linux at NightshadeSoftware.org. Despite being a complete rewrite, Nightshade 12 is still open source software: free to download, modify, and distribute (see the README file for details).

      This preview release (PR1) includes:
      * A terrain engine, for realistic and detailed terrain imagery and topographic data for select bodies such as Earth and Mars
      * The ability to fly through the solar system and to other stars
      * Improved atmosphere rendering
      * The ability to view 3d models of irregular bodies such as Phobos

      Since planetary imagery and data sets can be enormous, we have greatly reduced the resolution of data in our public releases to make Nightshade easily distributable. Supplemental data sets for Earth are currently available on the project website (NightshadeSoftware.org) for a small donation to the project.

      The purpose of this preview release is to give anyone the chance to try out the new features and provide feedback. Peer review is extremely import to us. We also hope this may inspire you to get involved with the project in some way.

      Please download Nightshade 12, try it out, and let us know what you think. As this is a preview release, you will almost certainly find some bugs. We would appreciate your reporting any bugs or feature requests that we are not already aware of via the Nightshade website.

      Cheers,
      Karrie
      --
      Karrie Berglund, Director of Education