LIPS* 2013: Save the dates!

  • Karrie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2013
      * LIPS = Live Interactive Planetarium Symposium

      Hi all,

      Our intrepid LIPS 2013 host, Derek Demeter of Seminole State College in Sanford, Florida, has chosen the official dates for the 2013 symposium: Tuesday, August 13 through Friday, August 16.

      More information will be posted in the next month or so about registration, sponsorship opportunities, etc. Derek or I will post here when that information is available. For now, write the dates on your calendars so that you don't doublebook yourselves!

      A bit of background: This will be the third LIPS. The first (2011) was hosted by Digitalis at our headquarters in Bremerton, WA. Last year's was on the beautiful University of Notre Dame campus in South Bend, Indiana, with Keith Davis as our gracious host. Both years were fun and extremely valuable professional development opportunities focusing on anything and everything to do with live shows: questioning strategies, presentation skills, sample activities, roundtable discussions, and more. In both 2011 and 2012, LIPS days started at about 9 am and ended at about 5:30 pm, so there was plenty of time to relax with other attendees and get to know each other in unstructured situations.

      Another major difference between LIPS and other planetarium conferences is the type of vendor participation. At LIPS, vendors are fully integrated into the symposium. Vendors participate in all sessions and have the opportunity to lead sessions if they so desire. There is no vendor hall, though each vendor receives time to present to the entire group.

      Many of us vendors used to do planetarium shows (and some of us still do, including myself), so we have experiences to draw from and share. I for one love being able to participate instead of just standing around a table while all of the attendees are at sessions. I have received the same feedback from other vendors who have attended past LIPS.

      I am already looking forward to visiting Derek's dome this August to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones. I hope to see many of you there!

      Cheers,
      Karrie
      ---
      Karrie Berglund, Director of Education