Re: Seeking recommendations for 3D software

  • Carlos Matias
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
      Hi Fulldome Community.

      First : Best Wishes for this new year !

      My point of view about 3D software for fulldome creation is simple : the
      faster the rendering process, the more I'll focus on creation.
      So, using a 3D soft that handles 180 fisheye rendering out of the box is
      good for the movie quality. The problem is that some render engines wont
      make a good job on all the aspects of 3D rendering / textures / shaders.

      My actual choice is 3DS Max with V-ray (integrated VrayDome Camera) and
      Krakatoa Plugin for particle intensive rendering. Krakatoa has a camera
      modifier for fulldome rendering.

      I'm also testing the Clarisse Fx. It's not a modeler but some sort of
      after effect for 3D scenes.
      The Clarisse FX team just added support for fisheye rendering to 360°
      (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407104316035714&set=a.355599397852873.86087.149946391751509&type=1&theater)

      Best regards.
      Carlos Matias
      http://fulldomeart.com

      Amr El-Laithy wrote:

      Andy ,

      I'm working for planetarium post-production for 3 years now , based on
      our workflow in cinema4d , and it's nice . we start produce the dome
      master just like the old schools with the 5camera Rig which is working
      nice even now . then we start to use the Dome shader for c4d and other
      plugins.and i may publish one of my tutorials for how to produce dome
      master in c4d .

      Amr

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

        i have heard that  c4d has a fisheye modifier now ? any news

      • Chris Maytag
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

          There is a “cylindrical lens” post effect, but it’s not terribly useful. Have not seen any new dome-related feature in R15, unless I’m missing something.

          We use vray (in c4d) as our primary renderer and get great directly-usable results from its “VrayCameraDome” tag attached to the camera. Plus, you get the benefit of vray’s cooler texturing system, which is something we like.  Vray for c4d 1.8.x is new, and its distributed rendering is a work in progress, but we think it’s evolving into a great platform for this kind of work. It’s also now mostly core-for-core up to date with current Vray releases (excluding 3.x) for other platforms feature-wise, with some exceptions that don’t matter much to us.

          ---
          Chris Maytag

          Studio Manager

          Fiske Planetarium