Re: RED camera package recommendations?

  • cpm5280
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2013
      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Lantz" wrote:

      > Unfortunately, the resolution/frame rate limitations of digital cameras
      > force us to use "tricks" to capture fulldome imagery, including camera
      > clusters, truncated imagery (with visual effects to synthesize a fulldome
      > image if required), limited field-of-view imagery composited into fulldome
      > still frame "plates," re-mapping of flat-screen imagery, scaling up of
      > low-resolution fisheye cinematography of and such. Hopefully we'll soon have
      > an affordable yet robust fulldome camera solution for live-action
      > cinematography.

      Yes, hopefully soon. With RED's forthcoming "Dragon" sensor upgrade to the Epic line (which will do 6K at 85fps on a 30.7 × 15.8mm sensor), the biggest issue (aside from cost! hah!) is lenses. There are, of course, various fisheye lenses that will sort of do what we would all like, but none that are a) available b) affordable c) project the appropriate image circle size and d) retain enough quality at the edges to be useful for in-camera fulldome shooting.

      The old 6mm Nikon fisheye will do 220 degree FOV, which would allow for a nice 180 degree crop, and the crop is from the weakest portion of the image, at the edges. Unfortunately, I think the last one I saw sold for six figures.