Re: Seeking recommendations for 3D software

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
      > First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects

      For volumetric I use scientific codes. The following is a full ray casting volume rendering of MicroCT data
      http://paulbourke.net/exhibition/mv2009/
      Some of the Dark production is also volumetric, since even though the simulations are particle like, they have a cloud of influence and thus get rendered volumetrically, again with custom code I wrote
      http://darkthemovie.info

      > And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
      > consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
      > for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

      Increasingly the choice of 3D modelling software will depend on what you want to achieve and which package meets your needs. For Dark we probably used at least 4 packages, Cinema4D, Vue, PovRay, and custom 3D rendering code. In the past there may have been favourites based upon fisheye generation support but I think (hope) things have matured since then.
    • Amr El-Laithy
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
        Andy ,

        I'm working for planetarium post-production for 3 years now , based on our workflow in cinema4d , and it's nice . we start produce the dome master just like the old schools with the 5camera Rig which is working nice even now . then we start to use the Dome shader for c4d and other plugins.and i may publish one of my tutorials for how to produce dome master in c4d .

        Amr

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
          Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

          --
          Drew Gilmore
          Asst. Director

          Just a guy made of dots and lines.
        • cpm5280
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2013
            Drew,

            We are primarily a Cinema 4D shop, for a variety of reasons. It's fast to pick up, which is important considering our workforce, many of whom aren't fulltime 3d professionals. It is still extensible, and there's are two extensive scripting systems (Python & Xpresso), etc. Particle system & volumetric shaders seem to be biggest weakness, but can be worked around.

            We have also begun to integrate Vray (for c4d) as our renderer of choice, both because its texturing system is quite nice (and cross platform) and because the forthcoming 1.5 & 2.0 updates will allow it to do distributed rendering across unlimited nodes, supports GPU acceleration at render time and in the viewport, etc.

            Maya & 3D Studio will both have an eventual place in our workflows, but as adjunct tools, not as primary platforms.

            Other solutions -- Lightwave, Blender, Bryce, Vue - are all interesting & useful, but I don't consider them in the same league.

            --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gilmore wrote:

            Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

            --
            Drew Gilmore
            Asst. Director
            Sudekum Planetarium
            www.SudekumPlanetarium.com (http://www.SudekumPlanetarium.com)

            Just a guy made of dots and lines.
          • Carlos Matias
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
              Hi Fulldome Community.

              First : Best Wishes for this new year !

              My point of view about 3D software for fulldome creation is simple : the
              faster the rendering process, the more I'll focus on creation.
              So, using a 3D soft that handles 180 fisheye rendering out of the box is
              good for the movie quality. The problem is that some render engines wont
              make a good job on all the aspects of 3D rendering / textures / shaders.

              My actual choice is 3DS Max with V-ray (integrated VrayDome Camera) and
              Krakatoa Plugin for particle intensive rendering. Krakatoa has a camera
              modifier for fulldome rendering.

              I'm also testing the Clarisse Fx. It's not a modeler but some sort of
              after effect for 3D scenes.
              The Clarisse FX team just added support for fisheye rendering to 360°
              (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407104316035714&set=a.355599397852873.86087.149946391751509&type=1&theater)

              Best regards.
              Carlos Matias
              http://fulldomeart.com

              On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore wrote:

[...]

              Thanks

              Drew
              --
              Drew Gilmore
              Asst. Director
              Sudekum Planetarium
              www.SudekumPlanetarium.com

              Just a guy made of dots and lines.

              --
              Carlos Matias
              http://fulldomeart.com
              Ph : +33 950 822 822
              email : carlos@...
            • amr.ellaithy
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                i have heard that  c4d has a fisheye modifier now ? any news

              • Chris Maytag
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                  There is a “cylindrical lens” post effect, but it’s not terribly useful. Have not seen any new dome-related feature in R15, unless I’m missing something.

                  We use vray (in c4d) as our primary renderer and get great directly-usable results from its “VrayCameraDome” tag attached to the camera. Plus, you get the benefit of vray’s cooler texturing system, which is something we like.  Vray for c4d 1.8.x is new, and its distributed rendering is a work in progress, but we think it’s evolving into a great platform for this kind of work. It’s also now mostly core-for-core up to date with current Vray releases (excluding 3.x) for other platforms feature-wise, with some exceptions that don’t matter much to us.

                  ---
                  Chris Maytag

                  Studio Manager

                  Fiske Planetarium