Re: Seeking recommendations for 3D software

  • Andrea Carvey
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
      I've use lightwave for years. I'm happy with its capabilities but it has a different paradigm thanmaya so if you are familiar with one the other seems difficult & confusing. They both have pros & cons and can be used to do different things in the same project but that usually doesnt happen since there are " maya" people & "lightwave" people. My experience is that maya practcally requires structured training to become
      Proficient whereas w ligjtwave it is easier to learn on one's own

      Andrea
      ------------------------------
      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:09 PM MST John French wrote:

      Drew,

      Recently we hired some MSU students to do some 3D animation work for us. We have 3dsMax, but the students were using Maya in their classes. So at least here, the university students are trained on Maya (I think because it has a better educational discount). They were able to pick up Max quick enough but it would have be easier had we used Maya.

      Just my 2 cents.

      John French.

      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...>wrote:

      Hi all,

      First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects
      - not stereoscopic shows. I have so far worked mostly in After Effects for
      show production and feel pretty comfortable there.

      We're now looking to add 3D animation to our production capabilities. I am
      realistic that we aren't going to produce a full, beginning-to-end, 3D
      modeled extravaganza right out of the gate (or necessarily ever), but it's
      time to enhance our tools and skills. We have been granted some funding for
      production software and training in the coming year, so we have a couple
      questions for those with experience.

      I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free
      stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor 3D
      Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender? Could I (as
      one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out of commercial
      software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons,
      strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for
      someone just getting started?

      And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
      consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
      for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

      Thanks

      Drew
      --
      Drew Gilmore
      Asst. Director

      Just a guy made of dots and lines.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
        > First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects

        For volumetric I use scientific codes. The following is a full ray casting volume rendering of MicroCT data
        http://paulbourke.net/exhibition/mv2009/
        Some of the Dark production is also volumetric, since even though the simulations are particle like, they have a cloud of influence and thus get rendered volumetrically, again with custom code I wrote
        http://darkthemovie.info

        > And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
        > consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
        > for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

        Increasingly the choice of 3D modelling software will depend on what you want to achieve and which package meets your needs. For Dark we probably used at least 4 packages, Cinema4D, Vue, PovRay, and custom 3D rendering code. In the past there may have been favourites based upon fisheye generation support but I think (hope) things have matured since then.
      • Amr El-Laithy
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
          Andy ,

          I'm working for planetarium post-production for 3 years now , based on our workflow in cinema4d , and it's nice . we start produce the dome master just like the old schools with the 5camera Rig which is working nice even now . then we start to use the Dome shader for c4d and other plugins.and i may publish one of my tutorials for how to produce dome master in c4d .

          Amr

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
            Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

            --
            Drew Gilmore
            Asst. Director

            Just a guy made of dots and lines.
          • cpm5280
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2013
              Drew,

              We are primarily a Cinema 4D shop, for a variety of reasons. It's fast to pick up, which is important considering our workforce, many of whom aren't fulltime 3d professionals. It is still extensible, and there's are two extensive scripting systems (Python & Xpresso), etc. Particle system & volumetric shaders seem to be biggest weakness, but can be worked around.

              We have also begun to integrate Vray (for c4d) as our renderer of choice, both because its texturing system is quite nice (and cross platform) and because the forthcoming 1.5 & 2.0 updates will allow it to do distributed rendering across unlimited nodes, supports GPU acceleration at render time and in the viewport, etc.

              Maya & 3D Studio will both have an eventual place in our workflows, but as adjunct tools, not as primary platforms.

              Other solutions -- Lightwave, Blender, Bryce, Vue - are all interesting & useful, but I don't consider them in the same league.

              --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gilmore wrote:

              Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

              --
              Drew Gilmore
              Asst. Director
              Sudekum Planetarium
              www.SudekumPlanetarium.com (http://www.SudekumPlanetarium.com)

              Just a guy made of dots and lines.
            • Carlos Matias
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                Hi Fulldome Community.

                First : Best Wishes for this new year !

                My point of view about 3D software for fulldome creation is simple : the
                faster the rendering process, the more I'll focus on creation.
                So, using a 3D soft that handles 180 fisheye rendering out of the box is
                good for the movie quality. The problem is that some render engines wont
                make a good job on all the aspects of 3D rendering / textures / shaders.

                My actual choice is 3DS Max with V-ray (integrated VrayDome Camera) and
                Krakatoa Plugin for particle intensive rendering. Krakatoa has a camera
                modifier for fulldome rendering.

                I'm also testing the Clarisse Fx. It's not a modeler but some sort of
                after effect for 3D scenes.
                The Clarisse FX team just added support for fisheye rendering to 360°
                (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407104316035714&set=a.355599397852873.86087.149946391751509&type=1&theater)

                Best regards.
                Carlos Matias
                http://fulldomeart.com

                On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore wrote:

[...]

                Ph : +33 950 822 822
                email : carlos@...
              • amr.ellaithy
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                  i have heard that  c4d has a fisheye modifier now ? any news

                • Chris Maytag
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                    There is a “cylindrical lens” post effect, but it’s not terribly useful. Have not seen any new dome-related feature in R15, unless I’m missing something.

                    We use vray (in c4d) as our primary renderer and get great directly-usable results from its “VrayCameraDome” tag attached to the camera. Plus, you get the benefit of vray’s cooler texturing system, which is something we like.  Vray for c4d 1.8.x is new, and its distributed rendering is a work in progress, but we think it’s evolving into a great platform for this kind of work. It’s also now mostly core-for-core up to date with current Vray releases (excluding 3.x) for other platforms feature-wise, with some exceptions that don’t matter much to us.

                    ---
                    Chris Maytag

                    Studio Manager

                    Fiske Planetarium