Seeking recommendations for 3D software

  • Drew Gilmore
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
      Hi all,

      First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects
      - not stereoscopic shows. I have so far worked mostly in After Effects for
      show production and feel pretty comfortable there.

      We're now looking to add 3D animation to our production capabilities. I am
      realistic that we aren't going to produce a full, beginning-to-end, 3D
      modeled extravaganza right out of the gate (or necessarily ever), but it's
      time to enhance our tools and skills. We have been granted some funding for
      production software and training in the coming year, so we have a couple
      questions for those with experience.

      I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free
      stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor 3D
      Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender? Could I (as
      one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out of commercial
      software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons,
      strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for
      someone just getting started?

      And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
      consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
      for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

      Thanks

      Drew
      --
      Drew Gilmore
      Asst. Director

      Just a guy made of dots and lines.
    • Andy Dolph
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
        I know that Alex Lindsay at Pixel Corps strongly recommends people start in Cinema4D for both learning curve and workflow reasons. I have a lot of respect for his opinion, but that's general advice, not dome specific and I don't know what would be required to get dome masters out of Cinema4D.

        Andy

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...> wrote:

[...]

      • John French
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
          Drew,

          Recently we hired some MSU students to do some 3D animation work for us. We have 3dsMax, but the students were using Maya in their classes. So at least here, the university students are trained on Maya (I think because it has a better educational discount). They were able to pick up Max quick enough but it would have be easier had we used Maya.

          Just my 2 cents.

          John French.

          On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...>wrote:

[...]

        • Brad Thompson
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
            On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:48:00 -0500, Drew Gilmore <dotsandlines@...>
            wrote:

            > I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free
            > stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor
            > 3D Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender?

            I haven't used Blender in ages, so I'm not the person to give you a
            feature-for-feature rundown, but I would say that the biggest reason to
            favor one of the commercial packages is the ease with which you'll be able
            to find professionals trained to use it. More high-end companies use the
            commercial stuff, and because of that, more schools teach it and more
            plug-in developers develop for them. That's important if you plan on
            assembling a team.

            > Could I (as one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out
            > of commercial
            > software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons,
            > strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for
            > someone just getting started?

            That depends on exactly what you need to do. Blender, from what I
            understand, is a acceptable all-arounder that's getting better and better
            each release, and has the huge advantage of costing nothing. It may be
            all you need. Of course, learning one of these packages deeply is a huge
            commitment, so it's wise to think about where you want to go in the future.

            Here are the key points for the rest, from my point of view: 3dsMax's
            advantage is it's plug-in architecture. The best plug-ins for fluids
            (realflow), smoke (fumeFX, pheonix), and particles (krakatoa, thinking
            particles, pflow) are all for 3dsMax. Of course you have to buy those
            separately and they don't always work nicely together. 3ds Max's modeling
            tools are very strong too. Maya can do anything well, but it has two
            killer features... it's high-end roots make it more suitable for large
            studio pipelines, and it can use renderman renderers. C4D has a great
            motion-graphics tools, from what I understand. I don't know much about
            Lightwave, but I know it used to get heavy use in places where fast
            turnaround was paramount, like TV production. Houdini's strength is in
            dynamics and natural phenomena, and how it can integrate them. It also
            has a great free learning edition that you should try out, but be sure
            that you understand the cost of the full package first. Softimage has an
            awesome visual programming language called ICE. It was also the first
            animation software I ever used, but I haven't kept up with it enough to
            know how it stacks up today.

            Most of what you'll be using these programs for is not really different
            from how flat-screen producers use them. You may want to visit CGtalk. A
            lot of really experienced people hang out there. They are strictly
            against software comparisons though, so be careful how you phrase your
            questions.

            > And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
            > consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
            > for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

            3ds Max got an early head-start in fulldome production because it was the
            first for which a fulldome renderer was available commercially. Most of
            the others have caught up though, so that's no longer an advantage.
            Today, all the packages are in play. Anecdotally, it seems that 3dsMax
            and Maya tied for most popular, with some C4D, lightwave, and blender
            sprinkled in. Houdini seems to get some use too, but I don't know of any
            fulldome producers using it exclusively yet. It seems to be used as a
            supplemental package. For the record, we primarily use 3ds Max with tons
            of plug-ins, and a little bit of Maya on the side. We also use Z-Brush,
            Realflow, and Eyeon Fusion.

            --
            Brad Thompson - bthompson@...
            Digital Animation & Design - Spitz, Inc.

            -- "Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep"
          • Tom Casey
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
              Drew,

              I've used Maya since day one... even go back to Maya's predecessor, the original Alias software starting with version 0.9 in 1986. Through all those many years we have been constantly marketed to switch to one software of another... sometimes even being given free year-long trials to tempt us. For fulldome, we currently work alongside animators, depending on the client, using SoftImage, Max and Lightwave... dividing up scenes depending on each softwares strengths.

              Honestly, although I feel that Maya has the most overall capability, software preferences are more a case of what you already know and feel comfortable with... in other words, after you've spent months or years learning to use one you just don't want to learn all over again. The truth is, the tools are all rather complex and have steep learning curves. And fulldome adds a big plus to the complexity because of what it is.

              One advantage to the Max, Maya, SoftImage apps (all owned by Autodesk) is the fact that they have some import/export capabilities between them with the Autodesk FBX file format, so if you work in one, there is somewhat of a path to pass files between the programs (not everything is ever as transparent as you would like with software). This allows us to work with planetariums using those tools with some advantage.

              From my knowledge, Maya and Max are the two most used by a large number of the fulldome community who are not using the free Blender app. We like Maya, since we also do other higher-end work outside of fulldome and, as I said, we've "always" used. The Mental Ray renderer that is part of Maya has some advantages for fulldome work. Being a production studio, Maya's open architecture also gives us some ability to write our own code at times when needed. Maya also comes with closely tied-in compositing and motion tracking tools and has a large user base with lots of on-line tutorials, shaders, scripts, etc., etc.

              As a single user I would think Max may be a good choice... somewhat less complex to learn and usually what is developed for Maya's high-end user base eventually finds its way into Max because they are both owned by Autodesk. We've hired several animators over the years who started with Max and rather quickly learned Maya when they started at HRP. Max also has a large user base with online tutorials and plugins, etc.

              If you want, get in touch with me offline and I would be glad to discuss further details of our experience... by email or telephone, a call to speak in person would probably be easier.

              Tom

              On Nov 29, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Drew Gilmore wrote:

              > I know there are plenty of Blender fans out there, and I'm all for free
              > stuff. But taking cost out of the issue, are there good reasons to favor 3D
              > Max, Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D or something else over Blender? Could I (as
              > one person doing most of the visual work) get much more out of commercial
              > software than I could out of Blender? Are there specific pros or cons,
              > strengths or weaknesses for one package versus another - especially for
              > someone just getting started?

              H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

              Tom Casey
              President & Creative DIrector

              100 First Avenue Suite 450 Pittsburgh, PA 15222 412-391-8200
              HomeRunPictures.com

            • Jason Fletcher
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                More than a few times I've seen AE users jump into C4D and start making
                some beautiful work within a few tutorials. The dynamics and particle
                systems make me jealous. C4D is definitely made for the motion graphics
                genre of the 3d market and I think that forces them to make it easier to
                use.

                Maya is a truly huge toolset and its steep learning curve is in
                understanding when and how to use its tools in tandem. Issues at rendertime
                can be utterly crippling sometimes. Using the DomeAFL fisheye lens
                shader actually doesn't bring any limitations or glitches into Maya
                fulldome production. Maya is what we use in all our fulldome productions (4
                animators) and we love it.

                My understand is that many people lean towards Max because it has no limit
                of render nodes for renderfarm usage. But it seems that Max is more
                oriented to video game design. (Seeing as how both Maya and Max are both
                made by Autodesk, the softwares have different angles)

                Blender can do pretty much anything that the other CGI toolsets can do. The
                main difference is just how optimized and streamlined the workflow/approach
                is going to be.

                Any CGI software can be setup to output fulldome frames by using a hemicube
                camera rig or installing a fisheye lens shader (if available). A good place
                to start learning any of these softwares is to get a subscription to
                DigitalTutors. Best of luck to ya! Feel free to emails me with any
                questions.

                --
                Jason Fletcher
                Science Visualizer

[...]

              • Andrea Carvey
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                  I've use lightwave for years. I'm happy with its capabilities but it has a different paradigm thanmaya so if you are familiar with one the other seems difficult & confusing. They both have pros & cons and can be used to do different things in the same project but that usually doesnt happen since there are " maya" people & "lightwave" people. My experience is that maya practcally requires structured training to become
                  Proficient whereas w ligjtwave it is easier to learn on one's own

                  Andrea
                  ------------------------------
                  On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 12:09 PM MST John French wrote:

[...]

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                    > First of all, by 3D I mean modelling and rendering 3D or volumetric objects

                    For volumetric I use scientific codes. The following is a full ray casting volume rendering of MicroCT data
                    http://paulbourke.net/exhibition/mv2009/
                    Some of the Dark production is also volumetric, since even though the simulations are particle like, they have a cloud of influence and thus get rendered volumetrically, again with custom code I wrote
                    http://darkthemovie.info

                    > And without intending to start a holy war on the list, is there any
                    > consensus on which software package is more useful or more commonly used
                    > for fulldome work? It seems all over the map what people are using.

                    Increasingly the choice of 3D modelling software will depend on what you want to achieve and which package meets your needs. For Dark we probably used at least 4 packages, Cinema4D, Vue, PovRay, and custom 3D rendering code. In the past there may have been favourites based upon fisheye generation support but I think (hope) things have matured since then.
                  • Amr El-Laithy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                      Andy ,

                      I'm working for planetarium post-production for 3 years now , based on our workflow in cinema4d , and it's nice . we start produce the dome master just like the old schools with the 5camera Rig which is working nice even now . then we start to use the Dome shader for c4d and other plugins.and i may publish one of my tutorials for how to produce dome master in c4d .

                      Amr

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 6, 2012
                        Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

                        --
                        Drew Gilmore
                        Asst. Director

                        Just a guy made of dots and lines.
                      • cpm5280
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2013
                          Drew,

                          We are primarily a Cinema 4D shop, for a variety of reasons. It's fast to pick up, which is important considering our workforce, many of whom aren't fulltime 3d professionals. It is still extensible, and there's are two extensive scripting systems (Python & Xpresso), etc. Particle system & volumetric shaders seem to be biggest weakness, but can be worked around.

                          We have also begun to integrate Vray (for c4d) as our renderer of choice, both because its texturing system is quite nice (and cross platform) and because the forthcoming 1.5 & 2.0 updates will allow it to do distributed rendering across unlimited nodes, supports GPU acceleration at render time and in the viewport, etc.

                          Maya & 3D Studio will both have an eventual place in our workflows, but as adjunct tools, not as primary platforms.

                          Other solutions -- Lightwave, Blender, Bryce, Vue - are all interesting & useful, but I don't consider them in the same league.

                          --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gilmore wrote:

                          Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses. A lot to absorb!

                          --
                          Drew Gilmore
                          Asst. Director
                          Sudekum Planetarium
                          www.SudekumPlanetarium.com (http://www.SudekumPlanetarium.com)

                          Just a guy made of dots and lines.
                        • Carlos Matias
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 10, 2013
                            Hi Fulldome Community.

                            First : Best Wishes for this new year !

                            My point of view about 3D software for fulldome creation is simple : the
                            faster the rendering process, the more I'll focus on creation.
                            So, using a 3D soft that handles 180 fisheye rendering out of the box is
                            good for the movie quality. The problem is that some render engines wont
                            make a good job on all the aspects of 3D rendering / textures / shaders.

                            My actual choice is 3DS Max with V-ray (integrated VrayDome Camera) and
                            Krakatoa Plugin for particle intensive rendering. Krakatoa has a camera
                            modifier for fulldome rendering.

                            I'm also testing the Clarisse Fx. It's not a modeler but some sort of
                            after effect for 3D scenes.
                            The Clarisse FX team just added support for fisheye rendering to 360°
                            (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407104316035714&set=a.355599397852873.86087.149946391751509&type=1&theater)

                            Best regards.
                            Carlos Matias
                            http://fulldomeart.com

                            Ph : +33 950 822 822
                            email : carlos@...
                          • amr.ellaithy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                              i have heard that  c4d has a fisheye modifier now ? any news

                            • Chris Maytag
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013

                                There is a “cylindrical lens” post effect, but it’s not terribly useful. Have not seen any new dome-related feature in R15, unless I’m missing something.

                                We use vray (in c4d) as our primary renderer and get great directly-usable results from its “VrayCameraDome” tag attached to the camera. Plus, you get the benefit of vray’s cooler texturing system, which is something we like.  Vray for c4d 1.8.x is new, and its distributed rendering is a work in progress, but we think it’s evolving into a great platform for this kind of work. It’s also now mostly core-for-core up to date with current Vray releases (excluding 3.x) for other platforms feature-wise, with some exceptions that don’t matter much to us.

                                ---
                                Chris Maytag

                                Studio Manager

                                Fiske Planetarium