Re: GLSL Vertex Shader for Fulldome Fisheye?

  • nada_cloo
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
      Rob -

      The shader you sent me is The One - at least for now.

      I plugged it in, it didn't work, and then I realized I had OpenGL doing a perspective projection. That was effectively double-transforming each vertex.

      Switch to 'glOrtho(-1, 1, -1, 1, 1, 1000000)' and voila!

      Thanks, all.

      I will eventually be faced with the need to do the cube mapping method, but this will be fine for now.

      Ken
    • pauldavidbourke
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
        > So, J-Walt, you're saying I should render five sides of a cube and then map the pixels to the final warped image?

        Remembering of course that 5 faces is a waste, you only need 4.
        Consider the camera pointing towards an edge of the cube rather than the centre of a face.
      • Ken Scott @ Digital Chaotics
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
          Ahh! Good point. Thanks, Paul.

          --
          Ken Scott (VJ Chaotic)
          Founder and CEO of Digital Chaotics
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2012
            Ken, glad the GLSL code example helped.

            The development team originally started down the (partial) cube map
            route and found it completely unworkable for Nightshade 12. Either
            approach can work but there are trade offs to each. Which one works
            best will depend entirely on your particular situation.

            Rob

            --
            Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc. 360.616.8915
            817 Pacific Ave fax 360.616.8917