Re: 3d max Backburner

  • Carlos Matias
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2012
      I forgot something important :
      Did you try including map in the Network Job Assignment dialogue box ?

      Regards

      --
      Carlos Matias
      http://fulldomeart.com

      Carlos Matias wrote:

      Hi fulldomers!
      Hi Amy.

      First thing first:
      - no errors listed on each backbuner servers windows ?
      - does the task manager reports cpu activity on 3dsmax.exe process
      (usually 100%)
      - all servers running the same 3dsmax Service Pack ?
      - you said that render should be faster on servers ,... are your servers
      more powerfull than your workstation ? (usually, workstations are more)
      - I remember there is a timeout for rendering that can be set somewhere
      (don't remember exactly), try to check it.
      - try a first bunch of net render at a smaller size (512x512), helps to
      check if issue is a memory limit related problem.
      - If you set the framebuffer ON on your 3dsmax WS before submitting the
      render, you should have the framebuffer open on every rendering node
      (servers). Take a look on servers to see if it is rendering something.
      - be careful using a windows workstation as a server for maps, because
      there is a limit on the number of other PC's that can connect. Windows
      Server OS can accept more simultaneously connections. (personally, I use
      Synology's NAS servers - no connection limits)
      - check all your maps files individually.

      Hope this helps.

      I also can help debug your scene if you to send me a zip or a link .

      Best regards.

      Carlos Matias
      http://fulldomeart.com
      Ph : +33 950 822 822
      email : carlos@...

      Amy wrote:

      Hi Fulldomers!

      I have a question for anyone that is familiar with network rendering using Autodesk Backburner.

      I have a render farm that is currently running Backburner. I have 7 nodes running server, 1 fileserver running Manager and 1 workstation that has a licensed version of 3d max and also serves as my Backburner Monitor. All the files are shared on the network and I made sure that the textures all have network paths instead of local paths.

      Here's my problem... I submitted my job to the Manager and all the nodes say they are busy, but no progress is actually being made. 0 tasks have been completed and it has been over 2 days. After a few days I get an error from Backburner "3d max adapter error: ping task time out". I tried to do a little research online about this error and couldn't find much. Saw a few suggestions to use a network switch - I'm already using a 24 port switch - because there could be packet collisions. I also stopped leaving Monitor open when I wasn't using it, because I have read that this slows down the render too. But I couldn't find any clues as to what might be the problem with my set up.

      I should point out that when rendering this project on a single computer each frame took several hours (so it should be faster on the farm, not slower).

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Thanks!
      Amy

      Amy Barraclough