Re: Staffing portable domes

  • Linke, Matthew
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2012
      Hi,

      Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a portable dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your dome/technology?

      Many thanks,

      Matt Linke
      University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
    • Arthur Bogard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
        1) It often depends on the expectations of the institution you are
        visiting. At Digitalis and the Pacific Planetarium, we have recently
        performed/taught with an inflatable dome for the local library system.
        Each time, we have sent only one person out for the shows, but the library
        also provided an individual handling ticketing. With proper signage and a
        good plan in place for ticketing, one person is plenty with our Digitarium
        systems.

        2) Full set-up by my self of our portable Digitarium system (which I did
        for the first time last week using our inflatable dome) took me about 15
        minutes from unbagging the dome to setting up the system. Tear down was
        equally quick. I do have extensive experience with our systems, though. I
        simply had not done an outreach presentation with the inflatable dome
        before.

        Arthur

        On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Linke, Matthew <mlinke@...> wrote:

        Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a portable
        dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your dome/technology?

        Many thanks,

        Matt Linke
        University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
      • Miles Allen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
          We operate two Cosmodomes here in Victoria, Australia. I have also set up Cosmodomes in New Zealand, Slovakia, USA, Norway, Phillipines, England, and other places around Australia. In answer to your questions,
          1) For a portable planetarium show we will send out one person. If the incursion requires a dome and another activity, we will send a second.
          2) Set up once in the hall/gymnasium/classroom will take around ten minutes to set up the projector and mirror stand, and around 8 to 10 minutes for setup of the dome including inflation. We like to allow 40 minutes on site prior to our first show because often the venue and the nearest we can park the car might require three trips to carry the gear in.

          Miles
          Journeyman Education
        • Simon at Space Odyssey
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
            Hi Matt

            Being self-employed, I do it all myself as having a helper, welcome as it would be, would unfortunately require paying them!

            I always request access to the venue (usually a school hall or local community hall) 90 minutes before the start time of the first session. It usually takes me 20 minutes to unload my kit from my van into the hall, depending on how close I can park. It then takes me about 40 minutes from that point to be completely up and running and ready for the first group to arrive.

            I therefore usually have some spare time between being ready and them arriving (so enough time to sign in at Reception, pop to the loo, get a cup of coffee from the staff room etc.) By arriving 90 minutes in advance, this also builds in problem-solving time in case of technical hiccups (fortunately extremely rare!).

            I once got to a school very late due to two major traffic jams and had only 40 minutes to be ready from arrival, but I managed it successfully, although my stress-levels went sky-high!!

            Packing away afterwards usually takes around 45-60 minutes: 25 minutes or so to get everything packed up from the time the last child leaves the hall to having it all stacked up in one corner, then whatever time it takes to shift it from there to stow it in the van.

            I hope that's some use!

            With best regards

            Simon Ould
            Space Odyssey mobile planetarium, UK
            www.spaceodyssey.co.uk

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
              Hi Matt,

              Nominally we send just one person out with the dome (me!). From the
              time we get it to its setup location it takes about 45 minutes to get
              it up and running .

              Due to the heft of the equipment, I require 2-3 people from the
              school/group site to help unload and get the dome spread out on the
              floor, but once it's inflating I take it from there.

              It is much easier with a second person, so if there are any staff or
              volunteers available I love to have them along! But for 5+ years I've
              done most of the setups on my own. We are expanding our staffing in
              this upcoming year so that shouldn't be the case as often.

              We have the Elumenati GeoDome.

              I hope this helps!

              Sally Brummel
              Planetarium Education and Outreach Coordinator
              Bell Museum of Natural History
              University of Minnesota
              10 Church St. SE
              Minneapolis MN 55455
              Office: 612-624-8146
              Fax: 612-626-7704
              sbrummel@...

              Hi,

              Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a
              portable dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your
              dome/technology?

              Many thanks,

              Matt Linke
              University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
            • Karrie
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
                Hi Matt,

                When we do outreach, we send one person out alone. Our Digitarium systems are designed to be fast and easy to set up--one person can set up the system and dome in about 10 or 15 minutes.

                The only time we bring a second person along is if we know that crowd control will be an issue. For example, we have done planetarium programs at our local mall for past Astronomy Days. In that type of situation, you need to have someone on the outside of the dome answering questions, handing out tickets, keeping people from jumping on the dome, etc., while the teacher is inside presenting.

                Let me know if you have more questions:
                Karrie AT DigitalisEducation.com

                Cheers,
                Karrie

                --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Linke, Matthew" <mlinke@...> wrote:
                Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a portable dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your dome/technology?

                Many thanks,

                Matt Linke
                University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
              • Patricia Reiff
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2012
                  HMNS reached over 78,000 students in Discovery Domes in 2011, and all except "events" were just one person in a small car. Three of our presenters are women over 60 years old!

                  But for events, I agree with Karrie, an extra person is important. We actually like to have three people - one inside as an operator, one at the door, and one showing off our shows, software, getting signups, making luggage tags, etc. at the demo table. That also allows for one person to take a break from time to time!

                  It takes our presenters about 30 minutes to set up, and about 20 minutes to take down. They keep all their equipment plugged in in a rolling case so it sets up quickly. Ideally we like to use the school's "mini gym" because they have exercise mats handy. If we bring our own foam floor that takes a bit longer to set up. With our system with the mirror in back, we can seat 29 adults in a 5m dome, and the front row gets to lie down so they don't have to crane their necks. Having a soft floor is nice, because if we have a smaller crowd, many more can lie down and really enjoy the fulldome experience. Since our equipment is in the back, lying down in the center is very nice. And since the dome doesn't deflate between groups, they can run two groups an hour. Between HMNS's four systems and Rice's 2 systems, we can have six domes on the road at once, but 3 or 4 in a day is more typical.

                  Another good thing about the modular system is that I can check it all as luggage on the plane and not have to pay any shipping fees.

                  �pat

                  Patricia Reiff, Ph.D.
                  President, MTPE Inc. dba e-planetarium
                  reiff@...
                  855-DISC-DOME x3 [855-347-2366 x3]
                  fax: 713-664-0997
                  P. O. Box 271344 Houston TX 77277-1344
                  http://www.e-planetarium.com
                  "a woman-owned small business"
                  facebook: Discovery Dome
                  twitter: DiscoveryDome
                  Skype: eplanetarium

                  --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Linke, Matthew" <mlinke@...> wrote:
                  Two questions. 1) How many people do you normally send out with a portable dome? 2) How long, on average, does it take you to set your dome/technology?

                  Many thanks,

                  Matt Linke
                  University of Michigan Museum of Natural History Planetarium
                • KDConod
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Like most people here we have only one person going out with our portable. That is sufficient but it would really be nice to send two people. That would sure come in handy at those old schools where the gym in on the third floor and there's no elevator! (All too common in Newark, NJ) Having a second person also is a great help with crowd control especially when the gym class that was supposed to report somewhere else bursts into the gym in the middle of a presentation and starts shooting basketballs past the dome.

                    Kevin Conod
                    kdconod@...