Attendance figures for "Natural Selection"

  • alwaysmatt2
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2012
      Hi,

      We recently completed a seven month running of "Natural Selection: Darwin's Mystery of Mysteries." Our attendance numbers weren't what we had hoped they'd be (we loved it), and we are trying to figure out what we should learn from the experience. A few conversations have suggested that "maybe" it has done better in science centers.

      I would appreciate hearing about your successes with the show. On or off line is fine. I want to be clear that we are in no way blaming the production. This was the first time we really departed from the standard show content model and our audience surprised us. Before I do the next non-astronomy thing, I want to learn from this experience.

      Regards,

      Matt Linke
      U-M Museum of Natural History Planetarium
    • Vinski, Jerome
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2012
        Hi Matt,

        We received a grant from the 3M Corporate Foundation to purchased
        Natural selection last fall, but not with the intention of offering it
        as a public show. We have it available to school groups and for our
        college Intro to Biology classes for non-science majors. It is a great
        show that is well done. It is a history show and a good introduction to
        evolution for the Bio classes. We actually have some history faculty
        that want to show it to their classes that deal with the Industrial
        Revolution era. But getting faculty to change and add something to
        their already busy and full classes has not been easy. Only a few have
        shown it out of a possible 26 sections each semester. We expect that
        number to grow since when I surveyed them, more than a year ago, many
        replied that they would like to have such a program available for their
        classes.

        Only six visiting school groups have seen it and they were all middle
        school grades. The teachers and students liked the show and asked good
        questions. We'll see if those teachers request it again next year.

        At this point I do not expect to offer it as a public show. It just
        doesn't fit into what we normally offer age wise, let alone the topic
        being so different.

        Jerry Vinski
        Raritan Valley CC Planetarium
        PO Box 3300