Fulldome versus "Fulldome"

  • alwaysmatt2
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      We have a conundrum. We are designing a new educator guide and there is some confusion. We have, for example, our live star talk. It is obviously a "fulldome" show in that it utilizes the entire dome with night sky, images, video, the works. And we offer fulldome movies. So the explanation for the fulldome movies caused some to ask wether or not the star talks are indeed "full dome."

      I am struggling with how to write descriptions that will work in both arenas. I suppose I could say "our fulldome star talks as well as our fulldome movies. Or maybe I need to consider the term immersive in there somewhere? I confess I have not taken the time to browse websites. How do "you" deal with this?

      Regards,

      Matt Linke
      University of Michigan Museum of Natural Science, Planetarium.
    • Karrie Berglund
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
        In my opinion, the most important differentiator between the two types of shows is that the star talk is LIVE rather than prerecorded. I would personally just refer to those as "Live Star Talk." In the description of the live shows you could then refer to the digital projection system's capabilities, if you so desired.

        I don't think the general public has any real understanding of what the term "full dome" means, but they hopefully can understand the difference between a live program and a movie.

        Cheers,
        Karrie

        We have a conundrum. We are designing a new educator guide and there is some confusion. We have, for example, our live star talk. It is obviously a "fulldome" show in that it utilizes the entire dome with night sky, images, video, the works. And we offer fulldome movies. So the explanation for the fulldome movies caused some to ask wether or not the star talks are indeed "full dome."

        I am struggling with how to write descriptions that will work in both arenas. I suppose I could say "our fulldome star talks as well as our fulldome movies. Or maybe I need to consider the term immersive in there somewhere? I confess I have not taken the time to browse websites. How do "you" deal with this?

        Regards,

        Matt Linke
        University of Michigan Museum of Natural Science, Planetarium.
      • Mario Di Maggio, DISCOVERY DOME EUROPE
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2012
          *>>>In my opinion, the most important differentiator between the two types
          of shows is that the star talk is >>>LIVE rather than prerecorded.*

          Agreed. At Thinktank Planetarium our shows are either *presenter-led* [eg:
          www.thinktank.ac/SS_Spring] or *fulldome (360˚)*
          [eg. www.thinktank.ac/TLSTC]

          *>>>I don't think the general public has any real understanding of what the
          term "full dome" means*

          Most definitely. Part of our job is to educate / inform people about this
          new medium. That's why in all our publicity we use the term followed by a
          'description', this way: *fulldome (360˚)*

          Of course we too occasionally are asked: but are your presenter-led shows
          'fulldome'? Naturally the answer is a simple 'yes'.

          I guess if I were preparing a guide / brochure, to try and pre-empt that
          question I would say something like 'immerse yourself in our presenter-led
          night sky shows'.

          Mario