Announcing New Educational Materials for Experience the Aurora Fulldome Show

  • michael.daut
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2012
      Recent news stories have shown a variety of dazzling eruptions and storms on the surface of the Sun. These dramatic and violent events are causing spectacular auroras, often stretching across the United States. To help students understand the science behind these awe-inspiring displays in the heavens and on their television screens, E&S has produced a robust set of educational materials to support our fulldome show, Experience the Aurora, in partnership with the Houston Museum of Natural Science and Rice University.

      Experience the Aurora is so valuable for students because most of them will never see the real aurora and certainly not the different kinds of auroras on display in this program. Also the Sun-Earth connection is most important in understanding how the sun affects our changing planet. The aurora provides a topic to spark student interest in changes on the Sun and how they cause changes on Earth.

      Provided free of charge to all show licensees, the educational materials include the following:

      • Experience the Aurora DVD (the complete show for playback on a TV or monitor)
      • Interactive Space Weather CD
      • Experience the Aurora Educational Materials CD-ROM, including
      • Educator's Cover Letter
      • Aurora Curriculum
      • Auroral Dictionary
      • Aurora Essay or Discussion Questions
      • Aurora Show Glossary
      • Show script with stills from the show and discussion questions throughout
      • Pre or Post Visit Activities Guide (using Space Weather CD)
      • Space Weather Basics

      All materials on the CD-ROM are print-ready and are provided in black and white and color versions. We believe that this rich set of supplemental materials will transform Experience the Aurora into a valuable learning experience for students of all ages, and will provide a jumping off point for deeper discussions about the Sun and weather in space.

      For more information or to license a copy of Experience the Aurora for your fulldome theater, please contact Michael Daut (mdaut@...) at Evans & Sutherlan