IMERSA Fulldome Standards Committee Invitation, Roundtable and Online Forum

  • Ed Lantz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
      Fulldome Standards Efforts

      The first Fulldome Standards Summit was held in 2004 in Valencia, Spain, resulting in a draft document for show exchange - including Dome Masters (http://imersa.org/standards). This document has evolved over successive meetings at various planetarium conferences and fulldome summits. The founders of the original summit - Ryan Wyatt and myself - went on to found IMERSA along with Dan Neafus and David Beining.

      We are now formalizing the standards process under the IMERSA banner and are seeking volunteers for committee members. There are two ways to participate - join us in Denver at the inaugural standards committee meeting, or participate online at fulldome.org.

      IMERSA Standards Committee Meeting

      The first meeting of the IMERSA Fulldome Standards Committee is being called during the Fulldome Summit in Denver, Colorado, on Saturday, February 4th, starting at 2:30 p.m. Mountain Time following the State of the Dome presentation by Mark Petersen. We invite all interested parties to participate - particularly vendors and show producers who must distribute or exhibit fulldome content. Anyone can attend and contribute. Official voting will be limited to IMERSA supporting members in good standing (including individuals representing sponsors and affiliates) who wish to join the committee.

      Participating Online

      If you cannot attend the meeting in Denver (or even if you can), we invite you to participate online now, prior to the meeting. Your comments and suggestions will be reviewed at the meeting and taken into consideration. To participate, go to www.fulldome.org and join the Fulldome Standards group. You will see the existing document broken down into separate discussion groups. Post your feedback to these threads, or start a new discussion of your own.

      Standards Foundation Process

      This effort is a professional service to the fulldome community conducted by IMERSA members and volunteers. The process will be designed to exclude bias and include all relevant points of view, with the goal of synthesizing a document specifying Dome Master / Fulldome Master Show File Standards document that is ratified by IMERSA and other affiliate organizations.

      Steps include:

      . Establish volunteer Standards Committee from IMERSA Supporting Members and Affiliates.

      . Disseminate Draft Standards for comment on work group web site (fulldome.org).

      . Broad-based public, member and allied organization review and comment on Draft Standards.

      . Standards Committee consideration of and response to submitted comments.

      . Incorporation of approved changes (via formal Standards Committee vote) into a Draft Standard.

      . Phase 2 of dissemination, comment, review and revisions

      . Incorporation of approved changes into a Working Standard.

      . Standards Committee consensus on Working Standard and ratification recommendation

      . Ratification of Working Standard by IMERSA Board and other user organizations

      . Continued review of comments, concerns and revisions as required by Standards Committee.

      We look forward to your participation!

      Ed Lantz, Ryan Wyatt, and Dan Neafus
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
        Pursuant to Ed’s email, I just wanted to be clear about how to join the standards group on fulldome.org:

        1. Go to the site; sign in (or sign up if you haven’t already).
        2. Select the tab labeled “GROUP” in the series of options at top.
        3. Choose the “Fulldome Standards” group.
        4. On the “Fulldome Standards” page, select the “Options” pull-down to join.
        5. Start commenting on the proposed document!

        It would be awesome to have lots of commentary before we meet tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. Mountain Time. It would be the last chance to comment, obviously, but it will give you an opportunity to share your thoughts before a subset of us convene here in snowy Denver!

        Thanks for your time, everybody.

        Ryan.