RE: Selecting a conference.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      Ed Lantz wrote:

      > I would like to say that IPS is our fulldome home and, in the
      > off-years, SIGGRAPH will be our home. However, while SIGGRAPH is a
      > great venue for showcasing fulldome programming and networking with
      > the CG community, I'm not sure that it is the sort of venue that would
      > support, for instance, a fulldome summit with paper sessions (meeting
      > space would likely be quite expensive , and all the players will not
      > automatically be there).

      Agreed. SIGGRAPH is a good complement to the planetarium-oriented
      venues, but it presents different challenges. Maybe a post-conference
      something near SIGGRAPH?

      > For this I would imagine the Western Alliance to be the best venue, as
      > it has already become a fulldome fest of sorts.

      But this year, for example, there will be very little installed in
      terms of fulldome video (admittedly, it's not an off-IPS year, but...).
      The only other option I can think of is DomeFest in Albuquerque, but
      again, all the players don't necessarily show up to that.

      > I've also questioned whether IPS is the right venue, due to the
      > expensive travel required to get there. But we are an international
      > group, right?

      I was happy to have international (well, European) input into the
      Summit in Valencia. I think we benefit greatly from avoiding becoming
      too U.S.-centric. There's ECSITE as well, but that's further afield, I
      suppose.

      Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

      Ryan, a.k.a.
      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer