Selecting a conference.

  • Steve Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2004
      Selecting a conference.

      My co-worker Kris and I have been following full-dome for a while as one of our sources of information as we prepare to move to our new Science Center.  For Kris it is easier to figure out what conferences he should be attempting to attend, he's the astronomer in the education dept.

      It is a little tougher for me, I'm the tech. and for me it's a harder sell.  I'll be lucky if I can get to one conference a year and I need to make it as useful as possible.

      Has the full-dome group attached itself to any particular conference on a regular basis, or is it going to?

      Kris and I try to keep up on the technology itself together, but my focus is on the creation, modeling, animating end.  For example, I find Siggraph itself incredible informative, but if I knew (well in advance) there were to be full-dome sessions on standards, programming techniques, mixers with other full-dome users and developers, etc.  it would increase my chances of attending greatly.

      Steve Cooper
      Production
      Science Center of Iowa
      4500 Grand Ave.
      Des Moines, Iowa 50312
      stevec@...
      515-274-4138 X:231

    • Ed Lantz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
        Steve Cooper asks:

        > Has the full-dome group attached itself to any particular conference
        on a regular basis, or is it going to?

        > Kris and I try to keep up on the technology itself together, but my
        focus is on the creation, modeling, animating end. For example, I find
        Siggraph itself incredible informative, but if I knew (well in advance)
        there were to be full-dome sessions on standards, programming
        techniques, mixers with other full-dome users and developers, etc. it
        would increase my chances of attending greatly.

        Good question, Steve. I'm not sure that we're organized enough (yet) to
        create the consistent home that you're asking for. I would like to say
        that IPS is our fulldome home and, in the off-years, SIGGRAPH will be
        our home. However, while SIGGRAPH is a great venue for showcasing
        fulldome programming and networking with the CG community, I'm not sure
        that it is the sort of venue that would support, for instance, a
        fulldome summit with paper sessions (meeting space would likely be quite
        expensive , and all the players will not automatically be there). For
        this I would imagine the Western Alliance to be the best venue, as it
        has already become a fulldome fest of sorts. I've also questioned
        whether IPS is the right venue, due to the expensive travel required to
        get there. But we are an international group, right? And hosting a
        fulldome summit at IPS would, as you say, greatly increase your chances
        of attending, correct?

        Any other suggestions?

        Ed

        Ed Lantz
        Visual Bandwidth, Inc.
        ed@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
          Ed Lantz wrote:

          > I would like to say that IPS is our fulldome home and, in the
          > off-years, SIGGRAPH will be our home. However, while SIGGRAPH is a
          > great venue for showcasing fulldome programming and networking with
          > the CG community, I'm not sure that it is the sort of venue that would
          > support, for instance, a fulldome summit with paper sessions (meeting
          > space would likely be quite expensive , and all the players will not
          > automatically be there).

          Agreed. SIGGRAPH is a good complement to the planetarium-oriented
          venues, but it presents different challenges. Maybe a post-conference
          something near SIGGRAPH?

          > For this I would imagine the Western Alliance to be the best venue, as
          > it has already become a fulldome fest of sorts.

          But this year, for example, there will be very little installed in
          terms of fulldome video (admittedly, it's not an off-IPS year, but...).
          The only other option I can think of is DomeFest in Albuquerque, but
          again, all the players don't necessarily show up to that.

          > I've also questioned whether IPS is the right venue, due to the
          > expensive travel required to get there. But we are an international
          > group, right?

          I was happy to have international (well, European) input into the
          Summit in Valencia. I think we benefit greatly from avoiding becoming
          too U.S.-centric. There's ECSITE as well, but that's further afield, I
          suppose.

          Anyway, those are my random thoughts.

          Ryan, a.k.a.
          Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer