STEM Fair - education sector in Nigeria

  • alezarg
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2011
      Press release
      For immediate release

      Mojisola Omole
      Immersive Solutions Limited
      E-mail: momole@...

      Alexander Zaragoza
      Antares FullDome Productions
      E-mail: azaragoza@...

      Patricia Reiff
      Discovery Dome
      E-mail: reiff@...

      Barcelona 28/09/2011

      STEM Fair targeted at the education sector in Nigeria

      Immersive Solutions arranges a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Fair and exhibition event scheduled in Nigeria for the month of October this year.

      This is a premier event targeted at the education sector in Nigeria with the aim of promoting interest in the STEM fields. The STEM Fair is an event intended to promote literacy in STEM disciplines among school children and to raise awareness and knowledge of science, engineering, technology and mathematics in a fun, interesting, active and interactive way.
      Planetarium shows are scheduled to run during the event - one of the goals is to accomplish through this event, the introduction of planetariums as a teaching aid with hope to kick-start not just an interest in portable planetariums and planetarium programs but also create market and sales opportunities for these.

      Mojisola Omole at Immersive Solutions says;
      The yearly average failure rate of 75% in science and mathematics subjects in the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and National Examination Council (NECO) examinations is a cause for concern and creates a bleak future for Nigeria's technological development. The Fair offers a way to promote interest in these subjects in a fun and meaningful way and bridge the gap between classroom teaching and real life application of STEM principles.

      Exhibitors and visitors are expected from the various industry sectors and over 50 top schools in Nigeria have indicated interest in participating in the event. Antares FullDome Productions and Discovery Dome will be represented at the event by Immersive Solutions Limited. Immersive Solutions, Antares FullDome Productions and Discovery Dome see the possibilities in the science education sector in Africa and intend to seize this opportunity by providing learning solutions in the science and technology fields. There are few planetariums in Africa and fewer still portable types. Knowing how much learning is possible using planetariums, the three companies have teamed up to feature planetariums and fulldome shows as part of the outreach to educational institutions.

      Sergio López Borgoñoz at Antares FullDome Productions says;
      ¨We hope that we can awaken an interest in the science of astronomy through our fulldome programs and that they hopefully will stir the imagination among the young and encourage further exploration of it. Portable planetariums are an ideal solution for popularizing scientific content, as they can show immersive and spectacular educational films and as they can be taken to where the students actually are located. This is very important in Nigeria as many have schools have limited traveling possibilities and the fixed planetariums are yet very few.¨

      Patricia Reiff at Discovery Dome says;
      "Our portable planetarium is not just for stars – we immerse and excite students in all fields of STEM research by means of fulldome content, including earth science, biology, human body, history, and of course astronomy. The students take an "out of this world" journey that engages as it instructs. We are eager to bring more Discovery Domes to Nigeria, to join our other Discovery Domes in Ethiopia, Morocco, Zambia, and South Africa. And it can go anywhere with just a small generator."

      Objectives for the STEM fair
      • To expand the student's boundary of knowledge and curiosity
      • To promote understanding of science and its application to our world
      • To promote better teaching of science and enhance the quality of education
      • To empower young individuals to use scientific knowledge and technological
      • Know-how to address pressing problems in the communities
      • To build an informed nation and promote social and economic development

      Event details
      Theme of Fair: "Science in my world"
      Date and time: 25 – 28 October 2011, 8.00 – 16.00
      Host: Grange School, GRA Ikeja
      Venue: Grange School Grounds (over 6000 sqm space), GRA Ikeja
      Attractions: Career talks, STEM project competition, quiz competition, science-based shows, Educators' forum, and awards dinner

      Participant's profile
      Over 100 schools are expected to visit this event and participate in Fair activities. Schools will compete in the STEM Project competition in 5 categories to win various prizes and can also compete in the daily quiz competition at the junior and senior levels.
      The Educators' Lounge will open daily to STEM tutors for deliberations on ways of enhancing the quality of science and mathematics education in the Nigerian schools.

      Expected visitors
      • Graduate, undergraduate and pre-university students
      • Primary and secondary schools
      • Parents/guardians with their wards
      • School board/owners
      • School administrators/educators: principals, head teachers, teachers
      • STEM field experts
      • General public

      For more information on the STEM fair and exhibition, please write to Mojisola Omole at Immersive Solutions; momole@...

      For more information on Antares FullDome Productions, please visit www.antares-fulldome.com