Fisheye Lens Shader

  • Jason Fletcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2011
      If you work in a 3D animation toolset, what fisheye lens shader are you using? I've been collecting all of the options our there for Maya and would enjoy hearing what is being used.

      We used to use DrUntilSuite, but it is no longer supported for Maya 2012. I believe it has something to do with an architecture change in geometry shaders and frame buffers.

      DomeAFL looks is the best option since it works with Maya 2012 and everything renders correctly. I've also been investigating MentalCore, but I am waiting on a free beta license.

      --
      Jason Fletcher
      Charles Hayden Planetarium
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2011
        We wrote our own, but for Houdini, not Maya. For our Maya based vendors, I point them at:

        http://fulldome.ning.com/forum/topics/stereoscopic-domemaster-images

        -- Antoine

      • aaronbradbury@rocketmail.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2011
            Wow fascinating! I had not yet seen the stereoscopic lens shader. Very
            helpful.

            We have decided on using DomeAFL for Maya 2012 with mental ray. Everything
            seems to work properly. Anyone notice any strange glitches or such?

            Here are the other fisheye lens shaders we considered. Hope its helpful.

            DomeAFL
            * http://www.thedott.net/shaders/domeAFL/
            * tested and works nicely with Maya 2012...

            MentalCore
            * http://www.core-cg.com/
            * http://www.core-cg.com/docs/refglobals.html to turn on fisheye cameras:
            within render globals
            * beta only available for non-commercial applications. I bet they are
            gearing up to sell it. Still worth looking into if needed.

            DrUtilSuite
            * http://www.duikerresearch.com/free/drUtil_v101_mr.html
            * previously our main fisheye lens shader; no longer works with Maya 2012
            *
            http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2011/02/shaders_p-compiled-for-maya-2011-64-bit-on-mac-os-x/
            Seems
            there is an issue with Maya 2012 and mental ray geometry shaders / frame
            buffers that prevents the shaders_p from working correctly.

            Shaders_p
            * http://www.puppet.tfdv.com/download/shaders_p_e.shtml
            * not working in Maya 2012
            * not known if its a physically accurate fisheye
            *
            http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2011/02/shaders_p-compiled-for-maya-2011-64-bit-on-mac-os-x/
            Seems
            there is an issue with Maya 2012 and mental ray geometry shaders / frame
            buffers that prevents the shaders_p from working correctly.

            JS_fisheye
            * http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html
            * not considered because it isn't a physically correct fisheye...

            --

            On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Antoine Durr <antoinedurr@...> wrote:

            > We wrote our own, but for Houdini, not Maya. For our Maya based vendors, I
            > point them at:

            > http://fulldome.ning.com/forum/topics/stereoscopic-domemaster-images

            > -- Antoine

            > On Aug 25, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Jason Fletcher wrote:

            > If you work in a 3D animation toolset, what fisheye lens shader are you
            > using? I've been collecting all of the options our there for Maya and would
            > enjoy hearing what is being used.

            > We used to use DrUntilSuite, but it is no longer supported for Maya 2012. I
            > believe it has something to do with an architecture change in geometry
            > shaders and frame buffers.

            > DomeAFL looks is the best option since it works with Maya 2012 and
            > everything renders correctly. I've also been investigating MentalCore, but I
            > am waiting on a free beta license.
          • Roberto Ziche
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29, 2011
              The stereo version of the DomeAFL shader used with the "Center" camera will give you a slightly more optimized version of the original DomeAFL shader, as the code skips some redundant calculations.
              We might be talking about a few seconds over large frames... not much :)

              The shader should work for Maya too. I haven't compiled a Max 2012 version yet, but it's not using anything in mr that should break it.

              If you know how to integrate DomeAFL in Maya, the same technique can be applied to the stereo version.
              I have Maya but I never tryed it there. I mainly focused on Max.

              Rob