Monthly Administrative Note

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2000
      The fulldome@... mailing list has now been up and running
      for a full month! With seventy members and thirty-some-odd postings
      under our belts, we've gotten off to an admirable start, in my opinion.

      The purpose of this message is just to go over some questions that
      keep coming my way and to keep everybody on the same electronic page.
      I will try to post something similar every month.

      To reiterate... The intended audience for this group is not limited
      to users of a particular system or a particular company. Both real-time
      and playback media fall under the purvey of the group, within the realm
      of both fulldome and panoramic video technologies. While philosophical
      speculation about the effect of this nascent technology on the planetarium
      medium also makes sense as a topic of discussion, the core purpose of
      this list should not stray to subjects better addressed on DOME-L or
      in other forums.

      I will moderate the list, approving both subscribers and postings.
      You may contact me directly by mailing to

      fulldome-owner@egroups.com

      To send messages to members of this group, simply send email to

      fulldome@egroups.com

      If you do not wish to belong to fulldome, you may unsubscribe at any
      time by sending an email to

      To tell your friends to subscribe, have them send a blank email

      fulldome-subscribe@egroups.com

      Also, note that many features are available online at the web site
      version of the list:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/fulldome

      Including access to a complete and up-to-date subscriber list and
      archives of all postings (even the ones from before you joined).
      You must sign up with your email address and enter a password
      in order to access these features.

      You may also visit the eGroups web site to modify your subscriptions:

      http://www.egroups.com/mygroups

      Thanks for reading!

      Ryan Wyatt, Director of Theaters
      LodeStar Astronomy Center
      New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
      1801 Mountain Road NW
      Albuquerque, NM 87104
      505.841.5975 vox
      505.841.5999 fax
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 21, 2000
        Okay, it's been a little quiet, and although I have lots to say,
        this message simply covers administrative stuff. The fulldome@...
        mailing list has now been up and running for two months, with 85 members
        currently participating (using the term loosely).

        The purpose of this message is just to go over some questions that
        keep coming my way and to keep everybody on the same electronic page.
        I will continue to post something similar every month.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 23, 2001
            It's time for the monthly administrative note again, just when traffic
            has started to increase on the list...

            REMINDER: We have a poll that's been going pretty much since Day One,
            asking folks to give their background and affiliation (anonymously),
            so we can have an idea who's subscribed to the list. You can respond
            to the poll, if you haven't already, on the web at:

            http://www.egroups.com/polls/fulldome

            four months, with 95 members currently joined up (so I believe only three
            people haven't seen this message before).

[...]

            Plus, you can change account options to have email sent to you
            in digested format or only collected online. You must sign up

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2001
              The purpose of this message is just to go over some questions that
              keep coming my way and to keep everybody on the same electronic page.
              I will continue to post something similar every month. We're up to
              106 (mostly quiet) members now, so keep in mind that many people are
              missing whatever you're not posting. :)

              To reiterate... The intended audience for this group is not limited
              to users of a particular system or a particular company. Both real-time
              and playback media fall under the purvey of the group, within the realm
              of both fulldome and panoramic video technologies. While philosophical
              speculation about the effect of this nascent technology on the planetarium
              medium also makes sense as a topic of discussion, the core purpose of
              this list should not stray to subjects better addressed on DOME-L or
              in other forums.

              I will moderate the list, approving both subscribers and postings.
              You may contact me directly by mailing to

              fulldome-owner@yahoogroups.com

              To send messages to members of this group, simply send email to

              fulldome@yahoogroups.com

              fulldome-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Also, note that many features are available online at the web site
              version of the list:

              Including access to a complete and up-to-date subscriber list and
              archives of all postings (even the ones from before you joined).
              Plus, you can change account options to have email sent to you
              in digested format or only collected online. You must sign up
              with your email address and enter a password in order to access
              these features.

              Also, you can respond to our ongoing poll, if you haven't already,
              on the web at:

              You may also visit the Yahoo Groups web site to modify your subscriptions:

              Thanks for reading!

              Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
              Rose Center for Earth & Space
              American Museum of Natural History
              79th Street & Central Park West
              New York, NY 10024
              212.313.7903 vox
              212.313.7868 fax
            • Patricia Reiff
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 22, 2001
                For planetariums with playback-only systems, it is still possible to
                add a real-time component at the beginning (or better, end) of a show
                to bring it "up to date". For example, when showing the "Wonders of
                the Universe", one could have an image showing as the crowd walks in
                of the "Astronomical Picture of the Day". We are creating a show
                "Force 5" for which it is appropriate to show today's hurricane maps,
                the map of any storm warnings, the earthquake daily maps, as a way to
                bring to the public the route to find out today's material and not
                just the material "in the can". Of course, all of these links can be
                brought up easily by using our software "Earth Update" or Space
                Update" on a computer connected to the web, but any pc with a
                webbrowser connected to a spare video projector can do the trick as
                well. Gives a "real-time" flavor to a canned show..

                ...pat
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 25, 2001
                  The purpose of this message is just to go over some questions that
                  keep coming my way and to keep everybody on the same electronic page.
                  I will continue to post something similar every month. 108 members
                  currently lurk on the list, eagerly awaiting whatever you have to say!
                  Post often. Please.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                    The purpose of this message is just to go over some questions that
                    keep coming my way and to keep everybody on the same electronic page.
                    I will continue to post something similar every month. 110 members
                    can't be wrong, and they all want to hear what you have to say, so
                    please share some thoughts with the fulldome community.

[...]

                  • Carolyn Sumners
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                      Hi Everyone

                      I don't have much time but Force Five is as good as the trailer. I call it
                      a digital documentary with some very clever uses of regular video embedded
                      in a fulldome shell. We even have a narrator on the dome and she looks good
                      too.

                      And as we open the show, a tropical storm (Allison) decides to visit
                      Houston -- could it be more timely?

                      I don't know how to send everyone a sampler, but you're all welcome to take
                      a Texas vacation and see for yourself.

                      Meanwhile we working on some possible dollars for two new fulldome
                      endeavors. Please let me know what you think of each idea.

                      1. Night of the Titanic -- showing how human error and nature conspired
                      to bring down the great ship. There's a lot of earth science and astronomy
                      in the program.

                      2. Return to the Moon (WORKING TITLE) -- if we could get a bigger and better
                      all full dome moon show, what would you like to see. Please submit ideas
                      that can be done and really be creative. I can't promise anything, but there
                      might be some funds. We would like to reuse the futuristic Pat Rawlings
                      spacecraft, but everything else is up for grabs.

                      Your thoughts please...

                      Carolyn

                      (I'll be in Madagascar for the next two weeks for the eclipse so I might not
                      see your responses until I return. As best I can tell, there's not even a
                      movie theater on the island and I'm not taking my computer. But we'll try to
                      get some video for the moon show.)
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 17 8:11 AM
                        I couldn't let an entire month go by without some kind of posting,
                        even if it's just the monthly administrative note...

                        We're up to 112 members now, all waiting on the edge of their seats
                        for the next fulldome post. This particular (less than exciting)
                        message simply covers some questions that occasionally come my way
                        and helps to keep everybody on the same electronic page. I post
[...]

                      • Michael V. Magee
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 17 10:43 AM
                          Hello everyone,

                          We are in the mid stages of developing plans for a new science center
                          and planetarium here in Tucson to replace the existing Flandrau
                          Science Center and Planetarium. I have been spending increasing
                          amounts of time looking into the various existing and developing
                          technologies available for planetariums in preparation for our new
                          facility. I have been tracking the fulldome technologies as best as I
                          can from conference visits and this list-serve but I must admit to
                          being woefully ignorant about the subject.

                          I would like to put together a list of manufacturers or vendors who
                          are currently supplying fulldome video systems and/or associated
                          software and hardware. Does anyone out there have such a
                          comprehensive list or at least a few recommendations? Anything would
                          be greatly appreciated.

                          Thank you,
                          Michael Magee
                          Michael V. Magee Voice: (520) 621-3645
                          Planetarium Director FAX: (520) 621-8451
                          Flandrau Science Center email: mvmagee@...
                          1601 E. University Blvd. pager: (520) 410-3670
                          University of Arizona vmail: (520) 621-2001;111-1132
                          Tucson, AZ 85719 http://www.flandrau.org/
                        • Michael V. Magee
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 24 5:32 PM
                            Hello all,

                            I would like to express my thanks to all of you who replied to my
                            questions about fulldome systems last week. I received many replies
                            and they were all very helpful and positive. I now have plenty of
                            information to keep me busy doing research on the subject for quite
                            some time! Our time line for the new center is about four years from
                            now to start construction, and opening about one year later. By that
                            time I'm sure the technologies will change somewhat but it is good to
                            develop an understanding of the field now, so that I can be on top of
                            it when the time comes to order and install equipment. I look forward
                            to Martin Ratcliffe's article in the October Astronomy magazine.

                            Thanks again,
                            Michael