E&S Announces XBOX 360 Kinect Controller Integration in Digistar 4

  • michael.daut
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      Good Morning Everyone,

      E&S issued the following news release this morning.

      SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH, April 1, 2011, Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation (E&S) — is proud to announce our latest breakthrough. E&S has integrated Microsoft's XBOX 360 Kinect Controller into Digistar 4, and this is no joke!

      E&S brought our customers advanced wireless touch screen control with our iPod Touch and iPad interface. This gave presenters the flexibility to move around the theater, control their Digistar 4 system, and still have access to their custom control panel pages. Then we made maintaining projector calibration quick and easy using an XBOX 360 Controller. And now E&S is the first to offer planetariums the ability to go "controller-free" using XBOX 360 Kinect!

      With the XBOX 360 Kinect, the presenter's body becomes the controller. This exciting technology uses motion sensors to capture movements and gestures, and translate them into commands. This allows presenters, adults, and children alike, the ability to interact with the dome like never before. Here are just some of the things that you can do with Digistar 4 and XBOX 360 Kinect: point to and identify stars and other astronomical bodies; highlight constellations and turn on and off their outlines and artwork; move the sky by starting and stopping annual motion; and explore the universe in 3D - fly past the stars, planets, and through the rings of Saturn - all by using your hands in a driving motion. The XBOX 360 Kinect has a multitude of potential uses for the planetarium and E&S has just scratched the surface.

      E&S continues to innovate and our talented team of software engineers is constantly adding features and functionality to Digistar 4, the world's most advanced digital planetarium system. As always, software updates, such as this, are free to all Digistar 4 users under warranty or a support contract. Along with the open architecture of Digistar 4 and our active community of Digistar users, the possibilities are endless.

      Digistar 4. A Universe of Possibilities.

      Please follow the link below to see Digistar 4 and Xbox 360 Kinect in action:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yxfeMKd6I

      Have a great weekend,
      Michael