Re: audio system for full-dome

  • Andy Dolph
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
      is it a fixed dome or an inflatable? Is the dome perforated?

      Particularly for a portable my tendency would be to do stereo, and to use
      small, self powered loudspeakers.

      My favorite of them being the QSC K series - I'd use the K8 for this which
      is the smallest and lightest model.

      Andy

      On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:00 AM, onur özcan <onurozcan7@...> wrote:

      > Hello, what kind of sound system can be better for a full-dome which has a
      > radius of 5m?
    • Audronis, Ty
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
        Andy has a really good question. If it's an inflatable, I highly suggest an inline EQ, or EQ on the speakers. We just did sound design on a couple of geodome shows. They sound incredibly different once you get in there with the fan noise. Strings and whispy noises get completely buried. Unless you're planning on mixing in-dome, or the show is designed for inflatables... I'd highly suggest EQ on whatever speakers you get so that you can tune for that extra white noise. And I agree with Andy... K8 speakers are pretty sweet.

        Ty Audronis
        Senior Editor
        Visualization Studio / Morrison Planetarium
        California Academy of Sciences

        415.379.5130 (ph)

        55 Music Concourse Drive
        Visualization Studio (B1C25)
        San Francisco, CA 94118-4503

        taudronis@...

        www.calacademy.org
        [cid:3379934727_21704766]

        ________________________________
        From: Andy Dolph <acdolph@...>
        Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 14:32:38 -0800
        To: <fulldome@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [fulldome] Re: audio system for full-dome

        On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:00 AM, onur özcan <onurozcan7@... <mailto:onurozcan7%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

        > Hello, what kind of sound system can be better for a full-dome which has a
        > radius of 5m?
      • onur özcan
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
          thank you for the response Andy.
          it is inflatable but not perforated. can that handle 6m and 10m inflatable as well? for bigger inflatables what you suggest?

          also, what about jbl eon 515?
          Onur

          To: fulldome@yahoogroups.com
          From: acdolph@...
          Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:32:38 -0500

          On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:00 AM, onur �zcan <onurozcan7@...> wrote:

          > Hello, what kind of sound system can be better for a full-dome which has a
          > radius of 5m?
        • Andy Dolph
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2011
            On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM, onur özcan <onurozcan7@...> wrote:
            > thank you for the response Andy.
            > it is inflatable but not perforated. can that handle 6m and 10m inflatable as well? for bigger inflatables what you suggest?

            > also, what about jbl eon 515?

            The k8 would probably be fine with the larger domes, but if you think
            you're going to go that way I might go up to the k10 or k12.

            The K12 would be the most direct comparison to the eon 515 and I'd
            definitely prefer any of the K series boxes over the eons. They are
            more flexible and sound better for not much more money.

            The other thing about the K12 in particular is that they have amazing
            low frequency response - almost like having a subwoofer without
            actually having it...

            Andy
          • Steve Cooper
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
              Do the K-series travel well? Some don't handle the road trip as well as others.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
                Mine travel in hardshell road cases that I had built for them (and could
                likely survive a nuclear blast) but that's how I handle all of my equipment
                (I do event production at the Univ of NH) and it travels in a box truck.

                I would think that if you are relatively gentile with them it would be ok.
                If you got the cary bags that QSC sells for them they'd probably do fine if
                handled with the same kind of care that any of your other equipment needs...

                They are as robust as anything in that price balpark is likely to be, though
                not as solid (or heavy) as the gear intended for touring shows that sell for
                3-4 X the price.

                Andy

                On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Steve Cooper <stevec@...> wrote:

                > Do the K-series travel well? Some don't handle the road trip as well as
                > others.

                >> The k8 would probably be fine with the larger domes, but if you think
                >> you're going to go that way I might go up to the k10 or k12.
              • Pete Carss
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2011
                  They look a bit overkill for a 5m Dome - we've been using KRK RP5s with our
                  two inflatable domes on the road - for a couple of years...

                  Pete

                  On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Steve Cooper <stevec@...> wrote:

                  > Do the K-series travel well? Some don't handle the road trip as well as
                  > others.

                • Andy Dolph
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
                    I wouldn't disagree about them being overkill, but the K8s are not
                    much bigger then the KRKs and are designed to travel, where the KRKs
                    are designed to sit in a studio - that said, I'd think they'd be
                    plenty powerful, and should sound great.

                    Andy