Projectors

  • Steve Cooper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
      Getting interesting responses from both groups, and directly. I only said I was going to ignore the core system 'for the moment' because I want input on projection technology.

      I have a fair amount of experience with the technology as well. I'm looking at the 'What if...'

      What if we decide we are happy with our core system (and we are), but because I went to NAB, or Siggraph instead of a traditional planetarium conference and as a result saw something I otherwise would not have seen. What if rather than starting with a new system we were willing to work with core system 'A' and projector vendor 'B' and custom-lense-maker 'C' because in the end I was going to paint my dome black, cut the number of projectors in half, and still put 12k on the dome at 120 fps.

      That's over-the-top, but makes the point. For the moment I want to expand my knowledge base on projection technology. Since the technology will undoubtedly change this will be an on-going process.
    • Ed Lantz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
        I'm at the Digital Cinema Symposium in Galveston, TX and saw the new Barco
        4K DLP projector today on Moody Garden's 60' x 80' IMAX screen. It looks
        quite good. Tomorrow there's a split-screen shootout with their IMAX
        projector.

        Barco claims the Guinness World Record for projector brightness (using the
        2K version - DP2K-32B - which is upgradable to 4K) with 43,000 lumens (twice
        the brightness of the Sony SRX-T420 4K projector).

        This bodes well for large fulldomes. Anyone know of a vendor developing
        dome lenses for this beast?

      • Andy Dolph
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
          I know I'd be interested in the results of that split-screen shootout, I
          suspect that others here would be as well, if you have the chance to
          report...

          Thanks.

          Andy

          On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Ed Lantz <ed@...> wrote:

          > I'm at the Digital Cinema Symposium in Galveston, TX and saw the new Barco
          > 4K DLP projector today on Moody Garden's 60' x 80' IMAX screen. It looks
          > quite good. Tomorrow there's a split-screen shootout with their IMAX
          > projector.
        • WATANABE Yoshiya
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
            Dear everyone,

            In TI's DLP site,
            http://www.dlp.com/uk/cinema/dlp-enhanced-4k/default.aspx
            I find NEC and CHRISTIE 's LOGOs!

            On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:46:46 -0800
            "Ed Lantz" <ed@...> wrote:

            > Barco claims the Guinness World Record for projector brightness (using the
            > 2K version - DP2K-32B - which is upgradable to 4K) with 43,000 lumens (twice
            > the brightness of the Sony SRX-T420 4K projector).

            WATANABE Yoshiya : yoshiya@...
            Curator of Astronomy, Chief Planetarium Director
            Osaka Science Museum http://www.sci-museum.jp/
            4-2-1 Nakanoshima, kita-ku, Osaka 530-0005, JAPAN