Re: Immersive Learning and Art Research

  • Ka Chun Yu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
      Hi Karol,

      > thank you for the link to the report.
      > Do you know more papers about immersion, panoramic screens,
      > storytelling, education?
      > I am preparing a paper for immersiveEducation 2011 (Boston 2011) and
      > this forum is a good source of articles that I didn't find via Metalib.

      I've enjoyed the papers that you posted. Hope that Immersive Ed paper
      goes well!

      Below is an assorted bibliography that I assembled last year.
      However it isn't completely up to date (the newest reference is only
      from 2008), and is probably missing a number of key papers that have
      escaped me for the moment but it should get you started.

      > Kind regards,
      > Karol Kwiatek
      > karol.kwiatek@...
      > University of Plymouth

      Dr. Ka Chun Yu / Curator of Space Science
      Denver Museum of Nature & Science
      2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80205
      P: 303-370-6394 / F: 303-331-6492
      E: kcyu@...
      W: http://scientists.dmns.org/kachun/

      1. Hemispherical displays:

      Chen, J. 2002, "A Virtual Environment System for the Comparative
      Study of Dome and HMD," master's thesis, University of Houston,
      Houston, TX
      [Just what it says: comparing dome display to head-mounted
      display -- kcyu]

      Hatada, T., Sakata, H., & Kusaka, H. 1980, "Psychophysical
      Analysis of the "Sensation of Reality" Induced by a Visual
      Wide-Field Display," SMPTE Journal, 89, pp. 560-569
      [First and in some ways, the only real work looking at how people
      respond to specifically to a domed display -- kcyu]

      2. Fulldome theater:

      Sumners, C., & Reiff, P. 2002, "Creating Full-Dome Experiences in
      the New Digital Planetarium," Proceedings of the NASA Office of
      Space Science Education and Public Outreach Conference, San
      Francisco: Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series,
      pp. 155-159

      3. Benefits of Virtual Environments in Education
      [If I remember right, most of these are all VR on desktop systems
      -- kcyu ]

      Dede, C., Salzman, M.C., & Bowen Loftin, R. 1996, "ScienceSpace:
      Virtual Realities for Learning Complex and Abstract Scientific
      Concepts," in Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality Annual
      International Symposium, New York: IEEE Press, pp. 246-253

      Dede, C., Salzman, M.C., Bowen Loftin, R., & Sprague, D. 1999,
      "Multisensory Immersion as a Modeling Environment for Learning
      Complex Scientific Concepts," in N. Roberts, W. Feurzeig, & B.
      Hunter (Eds.), Computer Modeling and Simulation in Science
      Education, Springer-Verlag

      Salzman, M.C., Dede, C., Bowen Loftin, R., & Ash, K. 1998, "VR's
      Frames of Reference: A Visualization Technique for Mastering
      Abstract Information Spaces," Proceedings of the Third
      International Conference on Learning Sciences, pp. 249-255

      4. Immersive vs. Non-immersive Virtual Environments
      [Not education per se, but looking at navigation, search tasks,
      mental map building, etc. -- kcyu ]

      Arthur, K. 2000, Effects of field of view on performance with
      head-mounted displays, unpublished doctoral dissertation,
      University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC

      Bowman, D.A., & Raja, D. 2004, "A Method for Quantifying the
      Benefits of Immersion Using the CAVE," Presence-Connect, 4(2),
      online journal available at www.presence-connect.com

      Gruchalla, K. 2004, "Immersive Well-Path Editing: Investigating
      the Added Value of Immersion," Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE
      Virtual Reality conference (VR'04) , March 27-31, Chicago, IL,
      pp. 157-164

      Jacobson, J. 2008, "Ancient Architecture in Virtual Reality: Does
      Immersion Really Aid Learning?" PhD thesis, University of

      Lessels, S. & Ruddle, R. 2004, Changes in Navigational Behaviour
      Produced by a Wide Field of View and a High Fidelity Visual
      Scene, Proceedings of the 10th Eurographics Symposium on Virtual
      Environments (EGVE 2004), Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland

      McMahan, R.P., Gorton, D., Gresock, J., McConnell, W., & Bowman,
      D.A. 2006, "Separating the Effects of Level of Immersion and 3D
      Interaction Techniques," VRST'06, ovember 1-3, 2006, Limassol,
      Cyprus, pp. 108-111

      Raja, D., Bowman, D.A., Lucas, J., & North, C. 2004, "Exploring
      the Benefits of Immersion in Abstract Information Visualization,"
      Proceedings of the Immersive Projection Technology Workshop

      Pausch, R., Proffitt, D., & Williams, G. 1997b, "Quantifying
      immersion in virtual reality," SIGGRAPH '97: Proceedings of the
      24th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive
      Techniques, 1997, pp. 13-18

      Prabhat, Forsberg, A., Katzourin, M., Wharton, K., & Slater, M.
      2008, "A Comparative Study of Desktop, Fishtank, and Cave Systems
      for the Exploration of Volume Rendered Confocal Data Sets," IEEE
      Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 14(3), pp.

      Schuchardt, P. & Bowman, D.A. 2007, "The Benefits of Immersion
      for Spatial Understanding of Complex Underground Cave Systems",
      in proceedings of VRST 2007, Newport Beach, CA, Nov 5-7, 2007,
      pp. 121-124

      Tan, D.S., Gergle, D., Scupelli, P.G., & Pausch, R. 2004,
      "Physically Large Displays Improve Path Integration in 3D Virtual
      Navigation Tasks," CHI 2004, April 24-29, Vienna, Austria, ,
      6(1), pp. 439-446

      Tan, D.S., Czerwinski, M., & Robertson, G., 2003, "Women Go with
      the (Optical) Flow," CHI 2003, Apr 5-10, Ft. Lauderdale, FL,
      5(1), pp. 209-215

      Tan, D.S., 2004, "Exploiting the Cognitive and Social Benefits of
      Physically Large Displays," PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon
      University, Pittsburgh, PA

      Tan, D.S., Czerwinski, M.P., Robertson, G.G., 2006, "Large
      Displays Enhance Optical Flow Cues and Narrow the GEnder Gap in
      3-D Virtual Navigation," Human Factors, 48(2), pp. 318-333.

      Tyndiuk, F., Lespinet-Najib, V., Thomas, G., & Schlick, C. 2004,
      "Impact of Large Displays on Virtual Reality Task Performance,"
      Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer
      Graphics, Virtual Reality, Visualisation and Interaction in
      Africa, November 3-5, 2004, Stellenbosch, South Africa, pp. 61-65

      5. Big Screens / Field-of-View

      Lin, J.J.-W., Duh, H.B.L., Parker, D.E., Abi-Rached, H., &
      Furness T.A. 2002, "Effects of Field of View on Presence,
      Enjoyment, Memory, and Simulator Sickness in a Virtual
      Environment," Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality 2002, pp.

      Lin, J.W.J. 2004, "Enhancement of User-Experiences in Immersive
      Virtual Environments that Employ Wide-Field Displays," PhD.
      thesis, University of Washington

      McCreary, F.A. 1997, "Adult-child Differences in Spatial Learning
      in an Immersive Virtual Environment as a Function of
      Field-of-View," master's thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
      and StateUniversity, Blacksburg, VA

      Patrick, E., Cosgrove, D., Slavkovic, A., Rode, J.A., Verratti,
      T., & Chiselko, G. 2000, "Using a Large Projection Screen as an
      Alternative to Head-Mounted Displays for Virtual Environments,"
      CHI 2000, Apr 1-6, The Hague, Amsterdam, 2(1), pp. 478-485

      Peruch, P. 1997, "Homing in virtual environments: Effects of
      field of view and path layout," Perception, 26, pp. 301-311

      Prothero, D., & Hoffman, H.G. 1995, "Widening the field-of-view
      increases the sense of presence in immersive virtual
      environments," Technical Report TR-95-2, Seattle, WA: University
      of Washington Human Interface Technology Laboratory; available
      online at http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-95-5/

      Reeves, B., Lang, A., Kim, E.Y., & Tatar, D. 1999, "The Effects
      of Screen Size and Message Content on Attention and Arousal,"
      Media Psychology, 1, pp. 49-67

      6. Traditional planetarium research (lots out there but here are
      just some):

      Wright, D.L.C. 1969, Effectiveness of the planetarium and
      different methods of its utilization in teaching astronomy,
      unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Nebraska,
      Lincoln, NE

      Bishop, J.E. 1980 The development and testing of a participatory
      planetarium unit emphasizing projective astronomy concepts and
      utilizing the Karplus learning cycle, student model manipulation,
      and student drawing with eighth grade students, unpublished
      doctoral dissertation. University of Akron, Akron, OH

      Sonntag, M.S. 1981 An experimental study of teaching method,
      spatial orientation ability, and achievement in selected topics
      of positional astronomy, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
      University of Colorado, Boulder, CO

      Mallon, G.L., & Bruce, M.H. 1982, "Student Achievement and
      Attitudes in Astronomy: An Experimental Comparison of Two
      Planetarium Programs," Journal of Research in Science Teaching,
      19, pp. 53-61

      Rosemergy, J.C. 1967 An experimental study of the effectiveness
      of a planetarium in teaching selected astronomical phenomena to
      sixth grade children, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
      University of Michigan

      Dobson, H.D. 1983 An experimental study of the effectiveness of
      the planetarium in teaching selected science concepts in the
      middle school, unpublished doctoral dissertation. Pennsylvania
      State University

      Smith, B.A. 1967 An experimental comparison of two techniques
      (planetarium lecture-demonstration and classroom
      lecture-demonstration) of teaching selected astronomical concepts
      to sixth grade students, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
      Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ

      Reed, G. 1970, "Is the planetarium a more effective teaching
      device than the combination of the classroom chalkboard and
      celestial globe?," School Science and Mathematics, 70(6), pp.

      Reed, G., & Campbell, J.R.. 1972, "A Comparison of the
      Effectiveness of the Planetarium and the Classroom Chalkboard and
      Celestial Globe in the Teaching of Specific Astronomical
      Concepts," School Science and Mathematics, 72, pp. 368-

      Twiest, M.G. 1989 The attitudinal and cognitive effects of
      planetarium integration in teaching selected astronomical
      concepts to fourth, fifth, and sixth-grade students, unpublished
      doctoral dissertation. University of Georgia