Re: Immersive Learning and Art Research

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
      I would be interested in developing a course for youth in immersive fulldome media creation. I have talked to Ka Chun, and Neafus in the past (2009ish)regarding the possibilities of this. We could use the Science Discovery platform too...via University of Colorado at Boulder.

      I will be teaching there again summer2011 and we do have a new computer lab available to us at the Science Discovery Lab in Boulder. I have access to a van and could teach the class between DNMS and Science Discovery. I already teach digital photography, advanced digital Photography and I recently taught video mixing in Taos, NM and it was a huge success. I already have most of my summer schedule planned for Science Discovery, however this would be an awesome project to work on, and I know Science Discovery would be very interested in this collaboration.

      Maybe the students could combine the photography class, and we can do panorama projection in the dome? I have already been teaching my students how to create panoramas in Photoshop using their photography from our field excursions. It would be an awesome way to build this program into the ISEA2012 youth program too. And this is something that could be presented at the Education Conference you mentioned.

      Check out all the other classes I'm teaching....

      http://stem-a.org

      I have also published a few essays on STEM education via art, media and technology. Links are found under my profile.
      http://stem-a.org/aboutus.html

      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Lantz" <ed@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for recent papers that document the unique properties of
      > immersive experiences in comparison to flat-screen media. This could range
      > from learning or comprehension rates, motivation levels, retention, etc.
      > I'd greatly appreciate if you could email me a link to reprints or the paper
      > itself. I'm working on an article and want to reference the latest work in
      > the field. Thanks!
    • Ed Lantz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2011
        Anyone have documented evidence (published or not) that upgrading to digital
        from analog planetarium resulted in attendance boost?

        Thanks,

        Ed
        ed@...
      • Karol Kwiatek
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          Hi Kachun,

          thank you for the link to the report.
          Do you know more papers about immersion, panoramic screens,
          storytelling, education?
          I am preparing a paper for immersiveEducation 2011 (Boston 2011) and
          this forum is a good source of articles that I didn't find via Metalib.
          Kind regards,
          Karol Kwiatek
          karol.kwiatek@...
          University of Plymouth
          www.charles3d.info
          www.360stories.net
          www.twitter.com/uop360

          On 22/12/2010 20:18, Ka Chun Yu wrote:

          > The Maya Skies evaluation work has been finished:
          > http://informalscience.org/research/show/5144
        • Jack Dunn
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2011
            On 1/3/2011 9:12 PM, Ed Lantz wrote:
            > Anyone have documented evidence (published or not) that upgrading to digital
            > from analog planetarium resulted in attendance boost?

            Ed:

            Our attendance essentially doubled. I can send you figures privately.

            --

            Clear DARK Skies,

            Jack Dunn - Mueller Planetarium
          • Ka Chun Yu
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
              Hi Karol,

              > thank you for the link to the report.
              > Do you know more papers about immersion, panoramic screens,
              > storytelling, education?
              > I am preparing a paper for immersiveEducation 2011 (Boston 2011) and
              > this forum is a good source of articles that I didn't find via Metalib.

              I've enjoyed the papers that you posted. Hope that Immersive Ed paper
              goes well!

              Below is an assorted bibliography that I assembled last year.
              However it isn't completely up to date (the newest reference is only
              from 2008), and is probably missing a number of key papers that have
              escaped me for the moment but it should get you started.

              > Kind regards,
              > Karol Kwiatek
              > karol.kwiatek@...
              > University of Plymouth

              --kachun

              Dr. Ka Chun Yu / Curator of Space Science
              Denver Museum of Nature & Science
              2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver, CO 80205
              P: 303-370-6394 / F: 303-331-6492
              E: kcyu@...
              W: http://scientists.dmns.org/kachun/

              1. Hemispherical displays:

              Chen, J. 2002, "A Virtual Environment System for the Comparative
              Study of Dome and HMD," master's thesis, University of Houston,
              Houston, TX
              [Just what it says: comparing dome display to head-mounted
              display -- kcyu]

              Hatada, T., Sakata, H., & Kusaka, H. 1980, "Psychophysical
              Analysis of the "Sensation of Reality" Induced by a Visual
              Wide-Field Display," SMPTE Journal, 89, pp. 560-569
              [First and in some ways, the only real work looking at how people
              respond to specifically to a domed display -- kcyu]

              2. Fulldome theater:

              Sumners, C., & Reiff, P. 2002, "Creating Full-Dome Experiences in
              the New Digital Planetarium," Proceedings of the NASA Office of
              Space Science Education and Public Outreach Conference, San
              Francisco: Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series,
              pp. 155-159

              3. Benefits of Virtual Environments in Education
              [If I remember right, most of these are all VR on desktop systems
              -- kcyu ]

              Dede, C., Salzman, M.C., & Bowen Loftin, R. 1996, "ScienceSpace:
              Virtual Realities for Learning Complex and Abstract Scientific
              Concepts," in Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality Annual
              International Symposium, New York: IEEE Press, pp. 246-253

              Dede, C., Salzman, M.C., Bowen Loftin, R., & Sprague, D. 1999,
              "Multisensory Immersion as a Modeling Environment for Learning
              Complex Scientific Concepts," in N. Roberts, W. Feurzeig, & B.
              Hunter (Eds.), Computer Modeling and Simulation in Science
              Education, Springer-Verlag

              Salzman, M.C., Dede, C., Bowen Loftin, R., & Ash, K. 1998, "VR's
              Frames of Reference: A Visualization Technique for Mastering
              Abstract Information Spaces," Proceedings of the Third
              International Conference on Learning Sciences, pp. 249-255

              4. Immersive vs. Non-immersive Virtual Environments
              [Not education per se, but looking at navigation, search tasks,
              mental map building, etc. -- kcyu ]

              Arthur, K. 2000, Effects of field of view on performance with
              head-mounted displays, unpublished doctoral dissertation,
              University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC

              Bowman, D.A., & Raja, D. 2004, "A Method for Quantifying the
              Benefits of Immersion Using the CAVE," Presence-Connect, 4(2),
              online journal available at www.presence-connect.com

              Gruchalla, K. 2004, "Immersive Well-Path Editing: Investigating
              the Added Value of Immersion," Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE
              Virtual Reality conference (VR'04) , March 27-31, Chicago, IL,
              pp. 157-164

              Jacobson, J. 2008, "Ancient Architecture in Virtual Reality: Does
              Immersion Really Aid Learning?" PhD thesis, University of
              Pittsburgh

              Lessels, S. & Ruddle, R. 2004, Changes in Navigational Behaviour
              Produced by a Wide Field of View and a High Fidelity Visual
              Scene, Proceedings of the 10th Eurographics Symposium on Virtual
              Environments (EGVE 2004), Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland

              McMahan, R.P., Gorton, D., Gresock, J., McConnell, W., & Bowman,
              D.A. 2006, "Separating the Effects of Level of Immersion and 3D
              Interaction Techniques," VRST'06, ovember 1-3, 2006, Limassol,
              Cyprus, pp. 108-111

              Raja, D., Bowman, D.A., Lucas, J., & North, C. 2004, "Exploring
              the Benefits of Immersion in Abstract Information Visualization,"
              Proceedings of the Immersive Projection Technology Workshop

              Pausch, R., Proffitt, D., & Williams, G. 1997b, "Quantifying
              immersion in virtual reality," SIGGRAPH '97: Proceedings of the
              24th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive
              Techniques, 1997, pp. 13-18

              Prabhat, Forsberg, A., Katzourin, M., Wharton, K., & Slater, M.
              2008, "A Comparative Study of Desktop, Fishtank, and Cave Systems
              for the Exploration of Volume Rendered Confocal Data Sets," IEEE
              Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 14(3), pp.
              551-563

              Schuchardt, P. & Bowman, D.A. 2007, "The Benefits of Immersion
              for Spatial Understanding of Complex Underground Cave Systems",
              in proceedings of VRST 2007, Newport Beach, CA, Nov 5-7, 2007,
              pp. 121-124

              Tan, D.S., Gergle, D., Scupelli, P.G., & Pausch, R. 2004,
              "Physically Large Displays Improve Path Integration in 3D Virtual
              Navigation Tasks," CHI 2004, April 24-29, Vienna, Austria, ,
              6(1), pp. 439-446

              Tan, D.S., Czerwinski, M., & Robertson, G., 2003, "Women Go with
              the (Optical) Flow," CHI 2003, Apr 5-10, Ft. Lauderdale, FL,
              5(1), pp. 209-215

              Tan, D.S., 2004, "Exploiting the Cognitive and Social Benefits of
              Physically Large Displays," PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon
              University, Pittsburgh, PA

              Tan, D.S., Czerwinski, M.P., Robertson, G.G., 2006, "Large
              Displays Enhance Optical Flow Cues and Narrow the GEnder Gap in
              3-D Virtual Navigation," Human Factors, 48(2), pp. 318-333.

              Tyndiuk, F., Lespinet-Najib, V., Thomas, G., & Schlick, C. 2004,
              "Impact of Large Displays on Virtual Reality Task Performance,"
              Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer
              Graphics, Virtual Reality, Visualisation and Interaction in
              Africa, November 3-5, 2004, Stellenbosch, South Africa, pp. 61-65

              5. Big Screens / Field-of-View

              Lin, J.J.-W., Duh, H.B.L., Parker, D.E., Abi-Rached, H., &
              Furness T.A. 2002, "Effects of Field of View on Presence,
              Enjoyment, Memory, and Simulator Sickness in a Virtual
              Environment," Proceedings of IEEE Virtual Reality 2002, pp.
              164-171

              Lin, J.W.J. 2004, "Enhancement of User-Experiences in Immersive
              Virtual Environments that Employ Wide-Field Displays," PhD.
              thesis, University of Washington

              McCreary, F.A. 1997, "Adult-child Differences in Spatial Learning
              in an Immersive Virtual Environment as a Function of
              Field-of-View," master's thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute
              and StateUniversity, Blacksburg, VA

              Patrick, E., Cosgrove, D., Slavkovic, A., Rode, J.A., Verratti,
              T., & Chiselko, G. 2000, "Using a Large Projection Screen as an
              Alternative to Head-Mounted Displays for Virtual Environments,"
              CHI 2000, Apr 1-6, The Hague, Amsterdam, 2(1), pp. 478-485

              Peruch, P. 1997, "Homing in virtual environments: Effects of
              field of view and path layout," Perception, 26, pp. 301-311

              Prothero, D., & Hoffman, H.G. 1995, "Widening the field-of-view
              increases the sense of presence in immersive virtual
              environments," Technical Report TR-95-2, Seattle, WA: University
              of Washington Human Interface Technology Laboratory; available
              online at http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-95-5/

              Reeves, B., Lang, A., Kim, E.Y., & Tatar, D. 1999, "The Effects
              of Screen Size and Message Content on Attention and Arousal,"
              Media Psychology, 1, pp. 49-67

              6. Traditional planetarium research (lots out there but here are
              just some):

              Wright, D.L.C. 1969, Effectiveness of the planetarium and
              different methods of its utilization in teaching astronomy,
              unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Nebraska,
              Lincoln, NE

              Bishop, J.E. 1980 The development and testing of a participatory
              planetarium unit emphasizing projective astronomy concepts and
              utilizing the Karplus learning cycle, student model manipulation,
              and student drawing with eighth grade students, unpublished
              doctoral dissertation. University of Akron, Akron, OH

              Sonntag, M.S. 1981 An experimental study of teaching method,
              spatial orientation ability, and achievement in selected topics
              of positional astronomy, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
              University of Colorado, Boulder, CO

              Mallon, G.L., & Bruce, M.H. 1982, "Student Achievement and
              Attitudes in Astronomy: An Experimental Comparison of Two
              Planetarium Programs," Journal of Research in Science Teaching,
              19, pp. 53-61

              Rosemergy, J.C. 1967 An experimental study of the effectiveness
              of a planetarium in teaching selected astronomical phenomena to
              sixth grade children, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
              University of Michigan

              Dobson, H.D. 1983 An experimental study of the effectiveness of
              the planetarium in teaching selected science concepts in the
              middle school, unpublished doctoral dissertation. Pennsylvania
              State University

              Smith, B.A. 1967 An experimental comparison of two techniques
              (planetarium lecture-demonstration and classroom
              lecture-demonstration) of teaching selected astronomical concepts
              to sixth grade students, unpublished doctoral dissertation.
              Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ

              Reed, G. 1970, "Is the planetarium a more effective teaching
              device than the combination of the classroom chalkboard and
              celestial globe?," School Science and Mathematics, 70(6), pp.
              487-492

              Reed, G., & Campbell, J.R.. 1972, "A Comparison of the
              Effectiveness of the Planetarium and the Classroom Chalkboard and
              Celestial Globe in the Teaching of Specific Astronomical
              Concepts," School Science and Mathematics, 72, pp. 368-

              Twiest, M.G. 1989 The attitudinal and cognitive effects of
              planetarium integration in teaching selected astronomical
              concepts to fourth, fifth, and sixth-grade students, unpublished
              doctoral dissertation. University of Georgia