Re: 360° cameras

  • Dave Pentecost
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
      I'm thinking of trying a motorized wheelchair that I bought on Craigslist
      for a robotics project for $200. There's probably a way to rig a set of
      tracks for it if you need to use it on rough ground. But it is extremely
      heavy to move around.

      --
      Director, Technology
      Center for Community

      Community Base
      http://c4c.posterous.com
      <http://c4c.posterous.com>
      @dpentecost
      Cell 646 704 2021

    • Karol Kwiatek
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
        Hi Dave,

        I managed to use Ladybug camera with a motorised wheelchair.
        Check my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033bEMm7dkE
        and my examples of 360films: http://www.360stories.net (click
        Roland-Levynsky Building).
        Regards,
        Karol Kwiatek
        www.charles3d.info
        www.360stories.net
        www.twitter.com/uop360 (all about panoramic video and panoramic screens)

        On 16/11/2010 15:35, Dave Pentecost wrote:

        > I'm thinking of trying a motorized wheelchair that I bought on Craigslist
        > for a robotics project for $200. There's probably a way to rig a set of
        > tracks for it if you need to use it on rough ground. But it is extremely
        > heavy to move around.

        > On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM, deepvisual<gary@...> wrote:

        >> moving on, I've struggled with getting good tracking shots from a 360°
        >> lens.
      • Ed Lantz
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
          A steadicam-mounted immersive camera on a segway would be awesome:

          http://everyjoe.com/technology/extreme-segway-steadicam-skills/

          Ed Lantz
          Visual Bandwidth, Inc.
          310.913.2696
          ed@...
          www.visualbandwidth.com
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
            > A steadicam-mounted immersive camera on a segway would be awesome:
            > http://everyjoe.com/technology/extreme-segway-steadicam-skills/

            I have to make do with more mundane vehicles, see the bottom of this page
            http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/miscellaneous/domefisheye/ladybug/
            Have yet to find a way to do steady-cam for the ladybug although their latest software does a fairly good job of doing it in software.
          • Karol Kwiatek
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
              Ed,

              Thanks for the link. Has anyone tried to use 360video camera with Steadycam?
              What is the cost of steadycam?

              On 17/11/2010 03:20, Ed Lantz wrote:

              > A steadicam-mounted immersive camera on a segway would be awesome:
              > http://everyjoe.com/technology/extreme-segway-steadicam-skills/
            • Tim
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
                Hi,

                yes, check http://www.vimeo.com/8813195 - I've used a RED One with the Sigma 10.5mm Fisheye lens.

                And here are some making-of photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timflorianhorn/sets/72157622027976934/

                That scene is part of the Planetarium Hamburg production "The Power of Stars".

                Tim

                --
                Tim F. Horn
                Producer, Climate and Earth Science Visualization

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2010
                  Hi Tim,

                  Wow, this equipment looks impresive.
                  Have you tried using it with Ladybug2/3?
                  What is the cost of Steadycam / your setup?
                  How heavy is it?

                  Paul, I noticed that you added two new pictures to your webpage. Great
                  ideas of making 360video!

                  Karol Kwiatek

                  On 18/11/2010 19:35, Tim wrote:

                  > yes, check http://www.vimeo.com/8813195 - I've used a RED One with the
                  > Sigma 10.5mm Fisheye lens.

                  > And here are some making-of photos:
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/timflorianhorn/sets/72157622027976934/

                  > That scene is part of the Planetarium Hamburg production "The Power of
                  > Stars".

                  > Tim

                  > --
                  > Tim F. Horn
                  > Producer, Climate and Earth Science Visualization
                  > California Academy of Sciences
                  > p. 415.379.5818
                  > c. 415.244.0730
                  > thorn@... <mailto:thorn%40calacademy.org>
                  > www.calacademy.org
                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 27, 2010
                    Hi,

                    Thanks! Personally I've never used the Ladybug system, but I had the chance to screen some test material in the dome. The resolution is great, but the multicamera setup results in many challenges . And the framerate could be to low to deliver a suitable visual experience in the dome.

                    The RED One is easy and cheap to rent (500 EUR/day incl. recorder, batteries, etc.). The tricky part might be to find a skilled Steadycam Operator (1400 EUR/day)... a good tool to keep track of your shot is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/timflorianhorn/3816879641/

                    Tim

                    On Nov 18, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Karol Kwiatek wrote:

                    > Wow, this equipment looks impresive.
                    > Have you tried using it with Ladybug2/3?
                    > What is the cost of Steadycam / your setup?
                    > How heavy is it?

                    > Paul, I noticed that you added two new pictures to your webpage. Great
                    > ideas of making 360video!
                  • deepvisual
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2010
                      I may take another look at my steadycam setup.
                      My system is nothing like the one shown, but wiht a lot of fiddling it could be!