Fulldome terrain...

  • Tom Casey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2003
      Hi all...

      With Ryan mentioning the lack of posts to our fulldome group today, I
      thought I would repost some information I sent to the Dome-L list
      that really relates more to fulldome production... to anyone not
      following the Dome-L discussion, the topic relates to creating
      landscapes/terrains...

      We've had great success using Maya for some terrain creation
      recently. We came up with an appropriate scene for a dinosaur
      sequence and also a ice age like scene for a mammoth sequence both in
      fulldome. Another scene of a ride down a river canyon also turned
      out pretty good using Maya. There are plenty of tools included in
      the software to create the landscape and/or waterscape... and with
      some of the available shaders (snow, mountains, etc... free at web
      sites) there is quite a large potential. We have found that simple
      painted textures mapped onto displaced geometry is by far the easiest
      and most flexible approach and can be very realistic. The
      displacement can be painted in Maya with sculpting brush tools that
      are included or a grayscale altitude file from a DEM or other source
      works well also. Plant life and atmosphere can be created with the
      paint effects and fluid effects tools for a complete look. We are
      currently working on a lunar landscape. Anyone know of real
      elevation data available for that? What we have found so far is
      pretty low rez in detail.

      The multi camera approach, then stitched, offers the best resolution.
      A fisheye approach will also work, but the necessary post process
      distortion will create some artifacts at the zenith or dome edges
      that may be undesirable depending on the scene content.

      Hi again...

      As an addendum to the last post, here are sample scenes for some of
      our Maya terrain work at the following sites...

      http://www.hrpictures.com/canyonride
      http://www.hrpictures.com/dinoride
      http://www.hrpictures.com/2003/GORGES/GORGES.html
      http://www.hrpictures.com/2003/EARTHTHEATER/EARTHTHEATER.html