Breaking the Silence

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2003
      Long time, no emails... But I thought I'd break the silence with a
      link, a bit of reading for an autumn (holi)day. I've placed a brief
      paper online:
      http://research.amnh.org/~wyatt/Community/oss2002proceedings.html

      This is my write-up of "The Big Picture: Planetariums, Education, and
      Space Science," which I originally presented at last year's NASA OSS
      Education Conference in Chicago. I ended up going on at length about
      fulldome video and how it's changing the face of the planetarium
      profession. Please read, comment, quibble, dispute, malign, or
      otherwise engage the text. But please don't hesitate to post.

      Coming up next: a quasi-objective gamma test for fulldome video?

      Cheers!

      Ryan, a.k.a.
      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History
      79th Street & Central Park West
      New York, NY 10024
      212.313.7903 vox
      212.313.7868 fax
    • david mcconville
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2003
        Some of you might be interested in the upcoming presentation about the use of digital dome spaces as multimedia art venues (see message below).

        ---
        david mcconville
        http://www.elumenati.com

        p: 828.236.9777
        f: 828.236.9779

        Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:56:33 -0500
        From: "Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)" <asci@...>
        To: asci@...
        Subject: PLEASE JOIN US for a unique shop-talk session...
        PLEASE JOIN US for a unique shop-talk session...
        "New Venue for Multimedia Art at Planetariums"
        Monday, December 1, 3:30 - 4:30
        The Graduate Center of the City University of New York
        365 Fifth Avenue (at 34th Street), NYC
        The Ford Foundation recently funded physicist, James Crutchfield [Santa Fe Institute] and composer/audio engineer, David Dunn [The Art-Science Lab in Santa Fe], to produce an infrastructure that would allow artists to create multimedia projects for a new public venue that promises never imagined aesthetic possibilities! Surround sound, 3-d images floating in space, interactivity, and real-time Internet feed, together build a new type of immersive environment that state-of-the-art digital dome technology offers.
        We are inviting artists, museum representatives, designers, technicians, and musicians to join us for an afternoon shop-talk discussion to explore this topic more fully with Crutchfield and Dunn [who have been collaborating for 20 years!]. How is digital dome technology different from CAVE and other immersive technologies? What is the learning-curve for traditional multimedia artists to actualize such projects? What type of presentation flexibility will this platform provide for planetariums? What should science museums know before purchasing such a system? Our guests will also share their thoughts about interactive performance art, and novel funding and exhibition strategies.
        At 6:00 that evening, Crutchfield and Dunn will present a free public performance/lecture at the Graduate Center about their "Theatre of Pattern Formation" project, a visual and auditory articulation of Chaos Theory, designed for the Lodestar Astronomy Center planetarium in Santa Fe, NM. For more information visit:
        http://atc.unm.edu/research/asl/asl.html
        http://artscilab.org/~chaos/topf/ToPF.html
        Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI) http://www.asci.org
        Seating is limited to 50 for the shop talk session, so please RSVP to: Adrienne Klein at aklein@...  or 212-817-7522
        The Graduate Center of the City University of New York