Rendering in Java3d for fulldome

  • Tom Casey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
      Question...

      We are working with a NASA visualization team doing an animation for
      fulldome showing the response of the Earth's magnetic field during an
      actual recorded Solar event.

      At this point we are teaching the visualizer how to create in
      fulldome using the typical multi-camera approach, then stitch. They
      are using Java3D to setup the animation, eventually hoping to be able
      to export to us for a Maya/MR render. But for now, the question is
      how to set up the cameras to see the required 90 degree FOV (field of
      view)?

      Anybody tried this? And can you explain the settings used for the
      Java3D camera view to get the appropriate frames to stitch. No one
      here is familiar enough with the Java language to help.

      Much thanks!

      Tom

      H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

      Tom Casey
      President & Creative Director

      100 First Avenue - Suite 450
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222
      412-391-8200
      mailto:tom@...
      http://www.homerunpictures.com
    • Dave Pentecost
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
        Tom - A quick search found this, not sure if it helps:

        Safari books online (O'Reilly) has an excerpt you can see from a book called
        "Interactive Web-based Virtual Reality with Java3D" that shows code setting
        the field of view.

        Here's a shortened URL

        http://is.gd/dLpEh

        Good luck