May fisheye camera?

  • wadefx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hello everyone.
      I am using Maya to create content for fulldome and am at the point of realizing how easy it would be if we had a fisheye camera for Maya rendering. This would allow dome masters direct from Maya as some of you know. Has anyone heard of any progress as to the creation of such a camera? and/or a workaround for fulldome mastering from Maya creations?
      What are some of you doing to transfer maya nuance to dome masters?
      Thanks in advance,
      Wade
    • Diana Reichenbach
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
        Hi Wade,

        I'm sure there are more but I have used drUtilSuite for Mental Ray. It's
        free: http://duikerresearch.com/free/

        Only thing is that the camera has to be rotated so that it is facing
        straight up, all resolutions must be square, and you need to make sure
        raytracing is turned on. I mentioned it in my blog post:
        http://theresnoplacelikedome.blogspot.com/2009/11/im-working-on-driving-my-dreams.htmland
        you can see some of the test images and how they look. Hope this
        helps!

        Diana

        --
        Diana Reichenbach
        University of Southern California

      • Yaroslav Gubchenko
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
          I guess

          Vray for Maya has a fisheye camera rendering option.
          If don't, you can use a five cam rig and finish job at compositing using Adobe After Effects with fulldome plugin for image stitching.

          Good luck!

          Yaroslav Gubchenko

          Ph. +7 904 3908067
          Email gubchsocom@...
          www.innerspace-planetarium-blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2010
            Join the chorus of Maya users who wish there was a linear polar
            projection fisheye camera in Maya directly. We tried for years as an
            Autodesk Maya beta test site to convince them they should put one in
            the next upgrade. We just don't represent enough licensed users to
            get them to schedule time with the RD staff to do it.

            There are a few ways currently to do it in Maya in one pass. If you
            use the Mental Ray renderer that comes with Maya and use what is
            called a fisheye camera shader. Just Google it and you will see many
            sites and discussions that describe how to do it. It basically tells
            the MR camera to see as an appropriate fisheye view.

            If you are using the Maya standard renderer here is an approach we
            have used employing raytracing...

            In this method we aim a ~60 degree field-of-view camera directly up
            into a transparent hemisphere that has a refracting index associated
            with it. The sphere refracts the rays in the view appropriately to
            give a linear 180 degree field-of-view of the scene (more than 180 is
            possible as well if desired). You will have to figure the exact
            math... lens FOV and Refraction Index that suites your pipeline.

            Now this method also works for the MR renderer without using a camera
            shader approach and with a 64 bit workstation it is very fast and big
            scenes are possible since more memory is available to the renderer.

            Sounds like you are using the multi camera approach. And that is
            sometimes still the only way to do fulldome in Maya... some effects
            just will not work if you go the one shot route.

            Tom

            On Jun 3, 2010, at 2:22 PM, wadefx wrote:

            I am using Maya to create content for fulldome and am at the point of
            realizing how easy it would be if we had a fisheye camera for Maya
            rendering. This would allow dome masters direct from Maya as some of
            you know. Has anyone heard of any progress as to the creation of such
            a camera? and/or a workaround for fulldome mastering from Maya
            creations?

            H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

            Tom Casey
            President & Creative Director