Re: Anti-Virus & Computers

  • Yaroslav Gubchenko
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2010
      Yes!

      We use Eset Smart Security on every PC we have. No any slow down. Maybe just a little bit, but now important. Specially you should look for firewall configuration if your theatre master communicate with other PC using some internal Windows protocols. They can be blocked by firewall's default settings.

      Regards,

      Yaroslav
      Yaroslav Gubchenko

      Ph. +7 904 3908067
      Email gubchsocom@...
      www.innerspace-planetarium-blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
        Good morning Darryl.

        I have been in IT for decades and I surely understand the desire to run AV software everywhere, but, to answer your questions...

        1) Do you use such programs on:

        a) Your production machines
        - Yes and we also use Deep Freeze to lock down machines with high student access.

        b) Server(s),
        - No

        c) Render farm(s)?
        - No

        d) Show machines?
        - No

        Overview. We are in an educational environment (a community college), and I do not allow the most students direct access to anything above the Workstation/Production machine level. We are mostly all Windows, XP-x64, Win7-x64, or Win7-x86 with upwards of 75 computers (including one full lab of WinXP on Mac Pro machines).

        Additionally, every one of these groups (workstations, servers - render farms, show machines (except the lab, which is on the college backbone)) has its own isolated switch and wiring, and these are physically disconnected from e/o much of the time.

        While I cannot say we have been virus/malware/Trojan free, but in 6 years, it have never moved past the workstation level.

        Additionally, every file transferred onto any portion of the system, goes through at least one workstation WITH AV software installed.

        In short, to keep render times down, all the virus scanning is done upon transfer into the system, once there; the show machines, servers, and render farms are AV free.

        Hope it helps.
        Pb
      • Tom Casey
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
          We have learned to keep any PC production computers in our studio
          separate/not connected to the internet.

          Do the render farm or playback computers really need to be connected
          since downloaded updates can be networked over from another machine
          if necessary. Some rendering programs will look like an undesirable
          process to the anti-virus applications since they write temp files
          during renders. Some anti-virus programs are installed "ingrained"
          in the OS and create other problems.

          Currently, most of our studio workstations are Macs, so we have only
          seen a virus once in many years (and that one only was found when it
          attached itself to an email and showed up on a client's PC). Any
          production "involved" PC is kept off the internet (including any
          Bootcamp or Parellels Mac partitions running Windows) to avoid the
          virus potential.

          At one point (years ago) we had a totally separate computer (Mac)
          that was the only internet connected workstation that everyone shared
          when they needed to be on the internet... obviously now, everyone has
          access, but only if you are on a Mac.

          We had a couple necessary complete rebuilds due to "something
          internet based," so initially we decided to have the separate
          computer for internet access, then eventually retooled the entire
          studio four years ago as primarily Mac based. Still need PCs around
          for some programs that are Windows only applications.

          Tom

          On May 27, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Darryl Davis wrote:

          We are at the beginning of working with all of these new tools, and a
          question came up about computer systems, and anti-virus programs. Our
          IT department want to put it on everything. Do you use such programs on
          your production machines, servers, render farm? Will anti-virus slow
          down the render farm? Do you have anti-virus on your theater master
          computer and/or rendering computers.

          H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

          Tom Casey
          President & Creative Director

          100 First Avenue - Suite 450
          Pittsburgh, PA 15222
          412-391-8200
          mailto:tom@...
          http://www.homerunpictures.com
        • Audronis, Ty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
            The short answer is yes, it will slow things down. Also, it can cause a whole host of other issues if you use the software firewalls. A good compromise is to setup your production environment on a separate network with a fire walled bridge between the two. Good luck!

            -sent from my iPad

            Ty Audronis
            Supervising Editor
            Visualization Studio / Morrison Planetarium
            California Academy of Sciences

            415.379.5130 (ph)

            55 Music Concourse Drive
            Visualization Studio (B1C25)