Re: Anyone use After Effects for creating fulldome content?

  • Zeeshaan
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
      Hi Patrick

      Even when converting the files to JPG, AE comes up with the error; unable to allocate space for a 11300x5650 image buffer

      I have tried playing around with setting in memory and cache and still no luck.

      Would you know any recommended settings for this sort of work?

      Thanks

      Zee

      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, patrick mcpike <animato727@...> wrote:
      > When importing large images into Aftereffects. Make sure you import the files 5000 to 10000 at a time. Any larger batch might freeze the program. Also the .PSD format is very bulky. You might want to run a batch process from Photoshop and turn all your .PSD into .JPG.
    • Zeeshaan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Eric

        I don't actually render anything for this type of fulldome work. All I need to do is import (as a composition) the large photoshop file, and then using the fulldome plugin create a fulldome image from the image in the photoshop file (it is like a panoramic image.

        The size of the file is around 11000x5650, and the error that occurs is in regards to AE being unable to allocate space for that size image buffer.

        Once I create the fulldome image (322x3200), I then simple "save frame as" JPG. From there, we used to just put the images up on our dome.

        For some unusual reason, the same process in AE CS2 works a little better. We used to do it here in the planetarium using the old version of AE, but the new I would have thought would work even beter?

        --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, Eric Knisley <knisley@...> wrote:
        > Can you be a bit more specific about the problem? Is it the sheer size
        > of the images, or something else? If it's the image/file size, you could
        > use proxies in AE and save the full-size rendering for the last step.
      • Audronis, Ty
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
          We've had some similar issues. Unfortunately Aftereffects is still a 32 bit program. That means it has a low memory limit (3GB). We've noticed it has memory issues handling more than 3,000,000 pixels at a time (4kX4k is much larger). I chatted with the program manager for aftereffects at NAB last year about the problem, and he said that it problably wouldn't be resolved any time soon. It has to do with assets going in and out. So even if you get a successful import of the footage, you may not get a successful render.

          Adobe is supposed to announce CS5 at this year's NAB (at least that's the rumor). It's supposed to go 64-bit at CS5 (which should resolve most problems with high res). As for a more immediate solution, I'd recommend Shake (at $500 for mac license... That's pretty decent, and render seats are unlimited and free provided it's a mac farm), or Nuke.

          --
          Ty Audronis
          Supervising Editor

          415.379.5130 (ph)

          55 Music Concourse Drive
          Visualization Studio (B1C25)
          San Francisco, CA 94118-4503

          taudronis@...

          www.calacademy.org
          [cid:3350372137_71211017]
          Now Open!

          ________________________________
          From: patrick mcpike <animato727@...>
          Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:28:24 -0800
          To: <fulldome@yahoogroups.com>
          Conversation: [fulldome] Re: Anyone use After Effects for creating fulldome content?
          Subject: [fulldome] Re: Anyone use After Effects for creating fulldome content?

          When importing large images into Aftereffects. Make sure you import the files 5000 to 10000 at a time. Any larger batch might freeze the program. Also the .PSD format is very bulky. You might want to run a batch process from Photoshop and turn all your .PSD into .JPG.

          Patrick McPike
          Technical Director
          Adler Planetarium

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
            11300x5650?? That's huge!!! Check your project comp settings. Your image buffer should never be greater than your frame size (unless you are processing an effect that is beyond the edge of your frame) but even then you don't want be too far out of your frame size. If you want you can send me your aftereffects file to pmcpike@... I don't need your source files to check your project setting and ill ses why it's not rendering for you.

            Patrick McPike
            Technical Director
            Adler Planetarium

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2010
              The image buffer error is a pain to deal with. There are some poor
              workarounds (splitting and stitching). Try reducing color depth, turning CM
              off (if possible). Reduces Undos, make sure "prevent DLL fragmentation is
              off). You can try reducing how much memory AE uses in prefs and/or turn off
              MP. There is a desperate method for renders where you can work at very low
              rez then starve AE of RAM with disk cache turned on and MP off.

              But the forthcoming 64-bit AE will greatly help.

              stephen van vuuren
              SV2 Studios
              336.202.4777

              http://www.sv2studios.com/

              IMAX in a Basement
            • Planetarium Production
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                Hi,
                As far as i know, there's hardly any need to use pictures w/ such a high definition (11000x6000), because, regardless of After Effects troubleshooting (and looooooong rendererings & huge files !), you will have to face the video projection system & the projectors limitations, unless you really have the dedicated hardware !
                Most of the shows we have displayed in our location for the past 9 years were sliced from domemasters in 4K, we even started in 2K and the difference was not even that significant when moving to 4K.
                So i would recommend to change sizes in Photoshop before importing to AE to avoid crashes, easy but working advice !

                Hugo Maimone
                Full dome production

                phone (cell) : +33 (0)4-67-13-26-21

                Fax : +33 (0)4-67-13-26-29

                Planetarium Galilee
                100, allee Ulysse
                34000 Montpellier

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                  I know, but when I apply the fulldome plugin the large panoramic image goes into a round image of 3200 by 3200. It worked once in CS2 but I guess these 32bit versions are just finding it tricky to handle.

                  I'll send you the ae file and see wht you think

                  Zee

                  --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, patrick mcpike <animato727@...> wrote:

                  > 11300x5650?? That's huge!!! Check your project comp settings. Your image buffer should never be greater than your frame size (unless you are processing an effect that is beyond the edge of your frame) but even then you don't want be too far out of your frame size. If you want you can send me your aftereffects file to pmcpike@... I don't need your source files to check your project setting and ill ses why it's not rendering for you.

                  > ________________________________

                • Drew Gilmore
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                    It may appear 3200 square on the screen but AE still has to stretch,
                    squeeze, bend, and otherwise deal with the 11300x56560 source image every
                    single frame.

                    If you can get one frame properly warped in AE without problem, just save
                    that one frame out to a single 3200 square file, then re-import that and you
                    won't have to deal with it any further. That saves on rendering time too,
                    since the plugin won't have to run on every frame.

                    Drew
                    --
                    Drew Gilmore
                    Asst. Director

                    Just a guy made of dots and lines.

                    On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Zeeshaan <zeeshaandinally@...> wrote:

                    > I know, but when I apply the fulldome plugin the large panoramic image goes
                    > into a round image of 3200 by 3200. It worked once in CS2 but I guess these
                    > 32bit versions are just finding it tricky to handle.
                  • Andy Dolph
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2010
                      Or maybe license one of Paul Bourke's (typically very inexpensive) command
                      line utilities, use that to warp the source to the dome master size, and
                      then bring it in to AE or whatever... Paul's utilities only run on Mac OS
                      X, Unix or Linux.

                      Check out:
                      http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/miscellaneous/domefisheye/2fish/

                      one of the utilities on that page is likely to do it and a link to contact
                      him is at the top.

                      you do need to be comfortable with the command line to use them, but they
                      are not difficult.

                      Andy