Re: 2009 State of the Dome Address

  • bergieberglund
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2009
      Hi everybody,

      Just a quick reminder that some companies, including Digitalis, do not publish their customer information. In our case this is part of our privacy policy.

      Because of this, Mark's "State of the Dome" survey should not be confused with a market share survey, as some people have done in the past.

      For example, Digitalis has well over 200 fulldome systems in use around the world, but only 58 show up in the Fulldome Compendium.

      Although Mark does mention this caveat in one of the paragraphs below the table, it is easy to overlook that note. I just wanted to highlight that there are in fact many more digital systems in use than are shown in the survey.

      Cheers,
      Karrie

      --
      Karrie Berglund, Director of Education
      Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.

      http://DigitalisEducation.com

      +1.360.616.8915
    • Paul Mowbray
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2009
        This is not just directed at Digitalis but if there are privacy issues
        could the hardware vendors start asking their clients if they are happy
        to be acknowledged and added to a public database whether it be the
        lochness system or something hosted by imersa?

        Is making this proprietary information seen as damaging to individual
        vendors business models?

        Am I being naive thinking that as a relatively small community of
        vendors and customers that now is the time to be open and anything that
        can help get more domes and content in the world must be a good thing?

        Another job for the imersa police to help wrangle.

        Ed, when are those collaborative working spaces going to be setup, this
        mailing list is probably not the right forum to continue the debate in
        detail.

        Paul @NSCcreative
      • Mark Webb
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
          I find Mark Petersen's compendium and state of the dome addresses very useful. I have had multiple occasions to rely on the information over the last few years. No compilation of this type will ever be perfect, but Mark does an admirable job and is in my
          experience far more current than the IPS data. - Thank you sir.

          I was aware of the Digitalis policy prior to this and can understand their decision, and their right, to keep the information private. However it would be helpful to the community at large and to Digitalis too, if the information were shared in some
          form.

          Perhaps Mark and Carrie could look at incorporating Digitalis numbers - without proprietary specifics, into the data already partially compiled, so that confidentiality is preserved but making the overall picture more accurate? Carrie's original response
          seemed to be half way there already.

          just a thought.

          **************************
          * Mark Webb