IPS

  • Jack Dunn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      As a member of Council, I've written to IPS President Jon Elvert to see if
      we can get started on a fulldome committee or subcommittee.

      I'll admit that IPS and some of the regionals have had some aversion to
      vendors being a part of committees in the past. It's not as easy
      as in ILDA where most everyone is a vendor. But working towards
      standards there was not that easy either. In the end, standards really
      do serve everyone. Those who want to create and sell shows want as
      many clients as possible for their work. Having to make many versions
      of a show costs more than one version. But that's not the only advantage.
      It appears that there are many issues in the software where a group
      has an advantage over individuals. And the theaters who have bought
      these fulldome systems want as many possibilities for material as they
      can get. What made VHS (and now DVD) the huge success it has been?
      The fact that there was a standard.

      I do not see through rose-colored-glasses. I know the planetarium
      field has never been able to agree to many standards for their
      theaters. But maybe fulldome is a place we can start to change that.
      Everyone will benefit.

      Clear DARK Skies,
      --
      Jack Dunn - member of International Dark Sky Association
      at home account