Re: Improving image on dome

  • Mark C. Petersen
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2009
      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mowbray" <paulm@...> wrote:

      >> The eternal battle, if only those elusive Fulldome standards could
      be formalised and ratified and implemented across the board! A
      compromise would be to have a real-time gamma correction or look up
      table type thing being done by the playback system to compensate for
      missing range in the projection. Having to hard encode simple post
      processing into encoded files is an incredibly inefficient part of
      Fulldome workflow and distribution. We really need to try and come up
      with a way of producing content at a baseline standard and getting the
      playback hardware to compensate as much as it can. <<

      Hi Paul and all,

      While "standards" are one thing, I'd say there's a more (im)practical
      issue at play here.

      We say imagery on the dome doesn't look like our monitors. Things
      look fine on the desktop; they look like dogmeat when projected.
      That's not a "standards" concern, that's a technology concern.

      We could adopt all the standards we want, but if the projectors simply
      cannot deliver the desired results, it's rather moot. Put another
      way, I think no one's really unhappy with the inherent quality of
      fulldome movies that are being produced these days. They look fine --
      or good enough for now. It's the projectors -- and their shortcomings
      in showing those movies -- that are the bane of our existence.

      Those shortcomings are what people are trying to over-compensate for.
      The obvious place to do that is in hardware, of course, not the
      software or show-ware. In other words, mucking with the movies --
      i.e., making them look "worse" in order to compensate for a lack in
      the projector -- is creating problem B instead of fixing problem A.

      But it's quite possible that "problem A" isn't fixable. You can only
      push the projector's adjustments so far. If that color saturation
      slider is full right or full left, and it's *still* not enough...
      well, standards won't help there either.

      I'm not saying the adoption of "standards" should be discouraged. But
      the current situation can be, umm, discouraging.