Reverse Engineering Fisheye for FlatScreen

  • peterwalthoff
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
      First off I just want to thank everyone for all the helpful support
      they offer to each other. As we're just about to wrap up our first
      Production, the information gathered from this very active community
      has been invaluable.

      Pleasantries aside, My question is once you've created your dome
      master, how do you take that final product and convert it back into a
      standard screen format, for promotion items, such as trailers and what
      have you.

      First thought was you'd take your 3d scene and just re-render with a
      conventional camera. Though of course this pretty much means having to
      redo all of the compositing as well. Not exactly time/budget effective.

      The other thought was taking and projecting that master onto a digital
      dome, and capturing using a 3d camera. This works, but we run into
      issues such as tracking points of interest. Which can be difficult
      because there isn't a way to see what's being captured by the camera
      until you render it.

      What would be an ideal situation is a post process perhaps utilizing
      the AE Full dome Plug-in. That way we could slide our newly mapped and
      re-distorted dome master around with in the view of our 16:9 comp. Or
      if there's another plug-in or software that might be available?

      Thanks in advance

      Peter W. Althoff

      Digital Artist
      Morehead Planetarium and Science Center
      250 E. Franklin St. | CB 3480
      Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3480
      919.843.8330 | palthoff@...

      250 E. Franklin St. | CB 3480

      Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3480

      919.843.8330 | palthoff@...
    • Ron Proctor
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
        Hi Peter,

        Congratulations on your first production! My sister is a PhD student in
        Analytical Chemistry at UNC -- I'll tell her to go check it out when you
        start showing it.

        For promotion of your show to other planetaria, the full fisheye circle is
        usually fine. We all know what it looks like and it's nice to see the whole
        dome in preview materials.

        For the public (news releases, tv trailers, etc) a flatter version is
        probably better.

        For the best quality, just go back to the scenes you want to use in your
        trailer and render them with a normal camera.

        For pretty good quality and a probably a lot of time saved, you could
        project the domemasters onto a 3d surface in and render it out. We've been
        trying this in Blender -- an example can be seen here:

        http://vimeo.com/2704958

        We would be happy to share the .blend file if you want to try it.

        --
        Ron Proctor
        Production Director
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
          Thanks Ron,

          Your Sister may have to wait a while, because we've yet to actually
          get our new dome built, we're expecting to be able to see it on our
          system as early as 2012, but should be available soon for distribution.

          I hear you on the fact that most Planetarium folk won't need to see a
          flat image, and a fisheye should do fine. Though we're going to need
          those flat projections...

          So i suppose i'll be doing the old projecting it onto a surface and
          rendering it out in Max for the time being. It seems to do the trick,
          but like I had mentioned it would be nice to just have a post process.
        • g m
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2009
            You can contact E&S they have specific plugin for After effects