Re: Content providers

  • Aaron McEuen
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 30 7:08 PM
      Folks,
      I want to comment on volumetrics, editing and Hollywood.

      The Secret of the Cardboard Rocket (SCR) is now complete. In
      this show, we have designed cut edits, dissolves and wipes etc. So far,
      not a single person has ever made a negative comment about them. In
      fact many comments have come our way about how well they have
      worked, much to our surprise. We felt it was a risk for us to take this
      approach for many of the same concerns that have been mentioned
      on this discussion(s). But we went with it and are pleased with the
      results.

      I find it funny that people shy away from volumetrics. I even
      have to laugh at the folks on Newtek's listerv when they complain that
      a 640x480 frame has taken 12 hours to render. Obviously, there is no
      profit in that. We have built into SCR 5 major scenes at about 30-45
      seconds each with volumetrics. We build them at 2200x2200. Many
      of these have been re-rendered a couple of times. The rocket has
      volumetric thrust throughout the show.

      I find volumetrics a necessary evil. Volumetrics are useful, if
      done right. I also think they are necessary in order to accomplish a
      very important feel and look.

      As for Hollywood, I really can't wait for this community to get
      a listen to our new soundtrack. It is currently under production at
      Skywalker Sound. The first tests have been heard and the reaction is
      very positive. There is a totally different sound, much like anyone
      would here at the movies. Our rocket has been graced with the sounds of
      Buzz Lightyear's rocket pack, the helicopter sounds from AI and not to
      mention effects that you would here in a 'Star Wars' space movie.
      Although we know that planets don't 'Hummmm' in space, it sure adds to
      the experience that I think our customers are after.

      May I remind everyone that the Western Alliance Conference is
      being held at the Clark Planetarium this October. Keep an eye out at
      www.rmpadomes.org for all the latest. The web page isn't up yet. We are
      opening in 1 week so give us a little bit. The hotel is selected. The
      rooms are under $100. All the events are located in downtown SLC. We
      look forward to you being our guests.

      Aaron McEuen
      Producer/Lead Animator
      Clark Planetarium
      SLC, UT 801 456-4934 (This number is different from my last)
    • Michael V. Magee
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
        I would like to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry about
        fulldome content providers several weeks ago. I had many replies both
        on and off list and they were all very useful. A number of people
        wanted to get copies of my compiled list of content providers once I
        get it together and I intend to do that. I had not planned to post it
        to the Fulldome list so if anyone else is interested please drop me a
        note and I will add you to my list to receive "the list".

        Right now I am in the process of clarifying some of the information I
        received and filling in some of the blanks for vendor systems and the
        appropriate credits for each piece of content. I had originally
        planned to create only a list of providers but I have expanded the
        list to include vendor name, system(s) they provide, content, and
        format(s) (fulldome, partial dome, panoramic, etc.). I have not
        included contact information at this point but I may choose to do
        that before the list is done. I may also include some pricing
        information but that seems to be somewhat more of a variable than can
        easily fit on this type of list. I'm using an Excel spreadsheet to
        keep it all organized and readable.

        Thanks again for all the help.

        Michael Magee

        Michael V. Magee