Math, portuguese fulldome shows wanted

  • Patricia Reiff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2009
      E-Planetarium is happy to announce its 70th hardware customer
      installation. New distributors include Argentina and Lebanon and new
      installations include Niagara Community College, ETHOS, NASA Dryden,
      Passmore Labs and the STEM Centre in Lancashire UK (where Galileo
      showed up for the grand opening - see http://www.discoverydome.eu/
      and choose "installations" to see the video). We were at the Buenos
      Aires 200th anniversary celebration and made a huge hit. New
      installations underway now include Sesame St, Stafford Air and Space
      Museum, and Starbase One. For a map of our users go to http://tinyurl.com/discoverydome
      .

      Here are requests for shows from some of our customers:
      1. Anyone have shows already in Portuguese?
      2. Anyone have a good math show? I understand that "flatland" may be
      available for the dome...? any others?

      We will be at the ESIP federation reception tomorrow evening (Jan 6)
      in DC, and have a booth at the NSTA national in New Orleans. If
      anyone would like to come to the ESIP demo, please let me know and
      I'll get you a badge. We will also be at the ASE meeting in the UK
      this weekend.

      We have also made a new major improvement to MediaSHOW software. We
      use MediaShow in our Discovery Domes to play back full shows or
      portions of shows, and individual images or folders of images. It now
      has a new functionality - a "movie in picture" capability. Suppose
      you have a fisheye projector and want to show a non-fisheye movie on
      just a portion of the dome. (or a mirror projector and want to show a
      non-warped movie on just a portion of the dome). The new MediaShow
      3.5 allows you to create a button to scale a displayed movie to be
      smaller than the full projector size. It defaults to placing the
      smaller movie in a window in the lower central portion of the field
      of view (best for mirror systems). You can use the "bump" to move
      that window up from the bottom edge, more toward the center (important
      if you are using a fisheye projector). You can specify the background
      (ie what the rest of the projector shows) as an image file. NOTE:
      THIS FUNCTION DOES NOT DISTORT... IT JUST PLAYS SMALLER SO DISTORTIONS
      AREN'T SO NOTICEABLE. So, for example, if you have a fisheye image
      of a location and a non-fisheye movie of something happening in that
      location, you can view the movie as an inset to the fisheye image.
      (and in a similar way with a warped fulldome image on a mirror system).

      As always, use the full MediaSHOW to program the buttons with full
      functionality (and to play back on a second screen projector), and
      then use MediaSHOW-Mirror to play back on a cloned (video mirroring)
      system with a thin menu strip which hides/displays with the "D"
      toggle. As always, our software comes with a 30 day free trial...
      Download from http://earth.rice.edu/software/MediaShow/MediaShow_v3.5/
      and get the Mac or Windows versions, as appropriate, of the two
      programs. (They can share the same support files as each other BUT
      NOT with older versions of MediaSHOW). Unzip and move into your
      programs (or applications) folder, put your movie and image media into
      the "media" folder (inside the "resources" folder) and you're all set
      to go. lf you already have an authorized version of MediaShow, it
      will remember your permissions. Copy your existing buttonsets into
      the new version, and copy your media into the new version. The new
      version will read old buttonsets, but buttonsets created with the new
      version will not be useable on the older versions. I actually prefer
      using MediaShow to Powerpoint now even for flatscreen talks, since it
      gives me full control of the movies and images I show. It's still
      sorta "beta" so let me know if you find any issues. It always
      complains on a new projector setup... just use the "setup" button to
      specify how big your projector window is, and whether it's on the
      second monitor or the first.

      Happy 2009 everyone!

      Patricia Reiff, Director Rice Space Institute
      reiff@... reiff@...
    • Mark C. Petersen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hi Pat and all,

        Loch Ness Productions currently offers three fulldome shows available
        with (Brazilian) Portuguese soundtracks:

        HUBBLE Vision 2
        Oceans In Space
        Larry Cat In Space

        Trailers for these in Portuguese can be experienced on our Web site:

        http://www.lochnessproductions.com/shows/translations/portuguese.html

        In the Portuguese Production Pipeline:

        MarsQuest
        The Voyager Encounters

        If these latter two are of heightened interest, let me know and I'll
        see what I can do about speeding up the process for them!

        >> Mark

        Mark C. Petersen, Loch Ness Productions
        http://www.lochnessproductions.com
        _____________________ GEODESIUM ____________________
      • epileferdna
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi Patricia and Mark, how are you?

          Patricia, I don't know if you remember me from the Conference in
          Espinho, Portugal. I'm a Brazilian master degree student in Portugal
          and it's very nice to see that Fulldome is expanding to my country.

          Could you tell me who is requesting those material? Because it will be
          important to my research to identify who is working with fulldome in
          Brazil and South America.

          Mark, I'm happy to discover that already exists fulldome shows
          translated to Brazilian portuguese. I have seen the trailers on Loch
          Ness' website and I congratulate you for the quality of the shows.

          Happy New Year.
        • O.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
            Hey there, nameless and anyone interested.

            I know this message was not directed at me, but since I've some information... who knows I can help a tiny bit? I've worked at Ibirapuera Planetarium, São Paulo, for the past 2 years (out of job, now), so I've heard things.

            There are a few fulldome planetaria showing up around here, now. Rio de Janeiro bought a new one - not for Gavea Planetarium, it's another building -, São Bernardo do Campo did it too, and if I'm not mistaken so did Feira de Santana. The biggest fulldome around, though. will be Santo André's.

            That's about it. If you will, pvt me.
            Happy new year everyone!
            O.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
              Hello There,

              I beg your pardon, I forgot to sign my message. By the way, my name is
              André.

              Thank you very much O, for the information. I have been at
              Ibirapuera's planetarium in 2006, but it was closed for reforms and in
              that period I could never imagine that 3 years later I could be
              working with fulldome media.

              I appreciate your informations. It is very useful for me. Brazil has a
              big potential to colaborate with the fulldome community.

              If anyone has more information, please share with us!

              Thank You very much,

              André Ferreira