Re: The Elumenati

  • david mcconville
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2008
      Thanks Paul and Pete. You beat us to the punch - we'll be sending out
      an announcement later this week regarding the web site and the pilot
      sites we've launched at numerous institutions (including NASA and
      NOAA), schools, and museums over the past year.

      To clarify Pete's comment:

      The GeoDome uses Uniview as a networked visualization platform, along
      with its Geoscope Earth visualization functionality. The Geoscope has
      been named after R. Buckminster Fuller's concept, and we've closely
      collaborating with the Buckminster Fuller Institute, Sciss, Carter
      Emmart, and others to realize his vision for a number of years (see http://www.bfi.org/our_programs/who_is_buckminster_fuller/design_science/geoscope
      for more).

      However, Uniview is only one component of many that comprise the
      GeoDome systems. The Portal and Theater configurations are built
      around the first fully inflatable, fully open doorway portable domes
      (no airlock) for rapid inflation, wheelchair accessibility, and
      comfortable adult access. Both of these, as well as the fixed Evolver
      system for existing dome retrofits, incorporate our OmniFocus
      projection systems designed to place audiences above the springline of
      projection. Instead of going on about the tweaks we've been developing
      to improve the accessibility and experience of dome-based immersion
      and interaction to visualize systems, feel free to check out the site
      and drop us a line if you have any questions.

      cheers,
      david

      ---

      david mcconville
      director, noospheric research division
      http://www.elumenati.com
    • Pete Carss
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2008
        Sorry David,

        I hadn't spotted the Geoscope/dome distinction. Obviously they're all
        parts of the whole, as is your excellent Omnimap library, via which
        I'm enjoying OpenSceneGraph in the dome....

        Pete
      • Andy Dolph
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2008
          On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:39 AM, david mcconville wrote:
          > incorporate our OmniFocus projection systems designed to place
          > audiences above the springline of projection.

          I'm missing something - how does that work without the audience
          casting shadows on the dome?

          Andy
        • david mcconville
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2008
            Andy,

            Instead of inscribing the spherical perspective image inside of a 4:3
            or 16:9 imager (so the top and bottom of the circle are touching the
            top and bottom of the image), we extend the image to touch the left
            and right of the imager. This is generally called "truncated" mode -
            though effectively it provides a way to lower the projector while
            having an audience behind it w/o casting shadows. Instead of
            projecting on the back of the dome, it projects at an angle over the
            audience's heads to focus resolution within their field of vision to
            their front and sides.

            cheers,
            david

            ---

          • m.bellwood@surrey.ac.uk
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 16, 2008
              We thought of using plaster rolls after we'd made the papier mache dome (which
              also uses muslin sheets and some bandages raided from a first aid box ;-)

              I still have an unused 6ft balloon...

              This is the best project I have ever been involved in!

              Cheers,

              Martin.

            • Andy Dolph
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 16, 2008
                where did you get the 6ft balloons?

                Andy

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 16, 2008
                  Andy,

                  http://www.balloons.co.uk/giant_latex_balloons.html

                  UKP13. The first attempt popped, mid-mache. The second popped mid-inflate. The third stayed inflated long enough to get several layers of paper/muslin/bandages wallpaper pasted together.

                  It will really, really help if you have a good airline (which working in a University, I do). Because if you don't' that's a lot of lung power you'll be needing!

                  I also tried covering a smaller, 3ft balloon with expanding builders foam. I ended up with something looking like a (UK) judges wig, but 3ft wide. Odd.

                  Martin.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 16, 2008
                    I've been dreaming of a cornstarch-based dome for temporary uses.
                    That's cornstarch ala the biodegradable utensils found in greener
                    eateries. Imagine spraying starch onto a mold (balloon/whatever) like
                    spraying gunite to form a swimming pool. Add some food coloring to
                    get the gain you want. Add some sugar and yummy extract and you could
                    eat the dome after use. :) Or just hose it down to return the corn to
                    soil...

                    dreaming...

                  • Paul Mowbray
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2008
                      Hi Martin

                      Not sure how practical it is location wise but if you ever want to test any of your footage on a big dome you are welcome to use ours at the National Space Centre in Leicester. It is a 58ft/17.7m tilted dome currently running a D3 back end with 6 CRT projectors.

                      This offer is open to any Fulldome producers out there who don't have access to a dome, give me a shout in the new year if anyone is interested. Always excited to see other peoples work in the dome.

                      Would love to see some pics of homemade test domes, one of our guys did some experiments with a rear projected umbrella!

                      Paul

                      Paul Mowbray

                      CG Supervisor - NSC creative
                      National Space Centre, Exploration Drive, Leicester, LE4 5NS, UK
                      Tel: +44 (0) 116 2582117
                      http://www.NSCcreative.com/ <http://www.NSCcreative.com/>