Re: botany program

  • Tom Casey
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In fulldome@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Pentecost" wrote:
      > While I could sit and watch programs on almost any subject in a
      > dome, reaction from my executive director includes "Why would
      > you do this in a dome? Why not a normal projection?"

      I think the word "immersive" is key to understanding what "works
      bestr" in a fulldome environment. We are pretty much taking the
      audience to a place in immersive style and allowing them to look
      around for themselves. If the scene doesn't give you the urge to
      look around, then... well, what can you say? And honestly, I've even
      seen some astronomy based shows where there was just no desire to
      look around.

      If you consider what IMAX has done as a format, you can see what some
      might call a danger to fulldome show content. At first we were all
      blown away by the large IMAX screen's view, and subjects that
      enhanced that feel were chosen as topics. Now, it seems that any
      topic is acceptable and in a lot of cases, I have not been "blown
      away" by the views.

      Being a CGI studio, we have for years been asked to visualize that
      which is difficult or impossible to view in a conventional camera
      approach. If we take that direction as fulldome content creators, I
      think the medium will always have a special appeal to our audiences.

      Tom

      H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

      Tom Casey
      President & Creative Director

      100 First Avenue - Suite 450
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222
      412-391-8200
      mailto:tom@...
      http://www.homerunpictures.com
    • Schmidt, Mickey D Civ USAFA/DFEC
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
        Reply to Peter and his executive director.

        You comment that you can see instances where a domed environment would work, space and underwater. Of course the night sky is an obvious situation as well. How about your view under the canopy of a rain forest? I'm sure other colleagues will think of other instances where a hemisphere, tilted or not will bring to bear advantages in understanding.

        More basic than individual examples however is; how do we, with binocular vision perceive the world outside? On average we see a curved space bounded by the nearly 180 degrees left to right and 120 in vertical extent. Mapping that in 3-D space it is not quite a hemisphere but slight movements of the eyes and head can more than make up the difference.

        So what then makes a view "normal" we are not meant to see only in two dimensions. If we were - one eye would have been sufficient.

        My personal opinion is that the ability to view a scene as an unbounded 3 dimensional space is preferable to being restricted to a flat screen.

        Mickey Schmidt
      • richardphoffmann
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
          Wow, excellent responses. Thanks for all of the your thoughts and
          encouragement.

          Mickey, the trailer on my site is really just a test, and doesn't
          reveal the story or progression of plants from seed to full fruit as I
          plan to. I appreciate your suggestions and have already integrated
          some of those issues into the script.

          Dave, Peter, Tom - "Why not normal projection?" this really gets to
          the heart of the matter, doesn't it? My reasons for exploring
          fulldome as a delivery format for this particular film are several
          fold. I will try to be succinct...

          1. The Medium. It has incredible potential which is just beginning to
          be tapped. While I agree that the most natural fit for content is
          sky-related, some of the works I have seen at Domefest confirm that
          there are many other directions it can take a viewer. Fantasy and
          abstract worlds seem to be particularly effective. While my film is
          set in a present day city, there are opportunities to present a
          bugs-eye view of plants growing that I think will be magical on the
          dome. While there will be some "wow" moments, the strength of the
          film will be its storytelling.

          2. The Network. The film I am making is a short film for children.
          It has science education elements in it. Fulldome theaters generally
          exist in science centers that usually cater to children. Outside of
          fulldome theaters and IMAX, there is not (to my knowledge) a worldwide
          network of venues for short film programming. Could be a good fit, if
          buyers are open to the content...

          3. My Content. The film that I am making is more akin to the 1950's
          French film "The Red Balloon" than to most of the dome content that I
          have seen. It has a "green" theme- the transformation of an abandoned
          lot into a community garden by a group of kids, and botanical
          education elements. However, its primary goal is to inspire,
          secondarily to educate. The story will depict characters and
          situations that children can relate to, as most fulldome theaters are
          located in or near cities. The film will act as a catalyst to ignite
          these children to learn more about botany. So it does have a goal
          that is related to education, but doesn't intend to be a primary
          source of scientific information. In my opinion, that is often better
          left to other mediums (books, web, humans, field studies).

          4. Context. This could certainly be a problem, as most folks are
          prepped to think of astro-shows when the think of planetariums. If
          the industry wants to change this perception, though, there has to be
          a commitment to both create and exhibit new content.

          Those are my thoughts for now. Still not sure if I am trying to fit a
          square peg in a round hole, so I do appreciate the feedback.

          Cheers
          Richard