Re: RenderFarm?

  • Tom Casey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
      On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:52 PM, Jon Strawn wrote:

      I guess what I'm
      saying is that we are looking for information as well, and
      we're trying to figure out how much we need to spend to meet
      our needs.

      We run a render farm with a rack full of Macintosh Xserves... the 8-
      processor boxes are very fast and you can set up renders dividing up
      the processors for renders as needed. You never seem to have enough
      processors fro fulldome renders. Running Maya or Mental Ray you are
      going to need at least 8-12Gb of ram per Xserve. Don't forget
      storage. We use a RAID 5 array networked to the farm for secure
      storage... with weeks of rendering at times in the works, you don't
      want to take the chance of losing frames. You should keep your
      working files (scene data) on a RAID array as well.. if you have a
      large number of Xserves rendering to the RAID, the constant network
      activity will slow down opening and saving from your applications, so
      you may want a second array for daily needs. Apple has good
      monitoring tools for keeping watch on the Xserves. Heat is going to
      be an issue.

      You could set up similar farms with Windows or Linux... we went the
      Mac route because they tend to be more reliable long term... we've
      never had to reconfigure anything about the farm since we did the
      initial install... it just keeps running months at a time.

      Tom

      H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

      Tom Casey
      President & Creative Director