Re: Chinese LED Screen at Olympics

  • Dave Pentecost
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 15, 2008
      You'll need to wait until all those elements can be grown, self-assembled,
      or printed. The younger ones among us may see the day. Gee, you can already
      get an 11" (yes that's eleven inches) HD OLED television for $2500. Someone
      want to do the math to tile the inside of a 60' dome?

      But talking now about wiring 150 million LEDs, or an equal number of fibers,
      is like inventing a TV in 1928 with a vacuum tube for every pixel. Philo T.
      Farnsworth wisely chose a scanning method, and television took off (after
      RCA stole and ran with it) decades before the invention of the LCD.

      We are better off putting efforts into improving the scanning/projection
      methods we have while we wait for a new generation of circuit-fabricating
      technology. But it's fun imagining that giant fiber optic hairball.

      Cheers
      Dave

      --
      Center for Community
      Lower Eastside Girls Club

      The Daily Glyph
      http://www.gomaya.com/glyph

      Cell 646 704 2021
    • Johnny
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 17, 2008
        Still a little "grainy" but coming along. Any year now they will
        reduce the led size even further. These are designed for extreme
        brightness, for dome purposes, a much lower power / smaller unit (with
        fibers to ever hole)would be awesome.
        http://www.mega-lite.com/
        "Panel 2.0

        The possibilities on the big screen are now endless! The latest
        technology in LED pixel panels is in. Display any picture,
        video, animation image, flash files, text or graphics onto the
        LED pixel panels. If it is on your PC it can be projected
        onto the panels.

        The Enigma Matrix applicationsare suitable for any large scale
        graphics requirements such as stages, theatres, clubs and
        shopping malls. If the need for graphic applications is smaller, then
        the Enigma Matrix can be also be used as a color wall or
        to display bold images, as well as, more simple flash files."
        Currently I have no dome - It's being demolished as I write. The Spitz
        nano seam dome arrives Monday for installation.

        John Young
        Reuben H. Fleet Science Center

        The Fleet site on the renovation project
        http://www.rhfleet.org/creatingtomorrow/index.cfm

        Transforming the Space Theater Blog
        http://spacetheater.wordpress.com/