Re: Latest on dome projection systems?!

  • Paul Bourke
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2008
      > We're searching (in vain?) for a high-end system
      > at "linear price". If one would combine two
      > fullHD projectors into a single system, one would
      > ideally get the circular cut of 1920x2160 px,
      > and incredibly good image quality at $6-7k per
      > projector.
      > The optics would be expensive in small series,
      > but this isn't really rocket science (but possibly patented..?!)
      > and it should be possible to do it for $20-30k.
      > Silent, high contrast, high resolution, high blackness, rich
      > colors, cost effective, very compact, and driven by an
      > ordinary pc.
      > Anyone selling this solution?

      If I had access to a suitably sized local dome then yes this
      would be available by now using the spherical mirror. In
      many ways it turns out to be an ideal application since it
      avoids the extreme angles and hence focus issues across
      parts of the dome experienced with most single projectors
      and the spherical mirror approach. Unfortunately unlike the
      single mirror installations that can often be created
      without any particular expertise or system installer, the
      two projector system would require more care to get optimal
      alignment and edge blending. I had a chance some weeks ago
      to work on a multiple projector spherical mirror system but
      there wasn't enough in-dome testing time to complete it.

      As it happens, multiple projectors ad spherical mirrors has
      already been done but not for a traditional dome, see
      http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/immersive_dome_shaped_vr_walking_system_.php
      [Or http://tinyurl.com/58r8ge --Moderator]

      ps: the San Mateo College system is a Digistar3 SP2 from
      E&S and considerably more expensive than the proposed
      budget.