Re: Spitzer dome show?

  • Patricia Reiff
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2008
      Spitzer made a ~2 minute piece on the "infrared sky" that we showed
      last year in Los Angeles. They are hoping to update it and add more.

      On Jul 18, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Jim Kosinski wrote:

      > Looking over some of the IYA 2009 literature I see some references to
      > a show being produced on the Spitzer Space Telescope. Anyone here
      > have any more insight into this project and when it'll be released?
      > I'm not finding much info around the web or through my usual sources.
    • Eric Knisley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 21, 2008
        Howdy all,
        Greetings again to those of you I met at DomeFest. Good times!

        I manage the digital dome at the Renaissance Computing Institute at teh
        University of North Carolina. I'm very keen to do some experiments with
        time lapse, and have been fooling around with various lens/camera
        combinations. My first test is online:
        ftp://ftp.renci.org/incoming/time-lapse/time-lapse-001.mov
        25MB QuickTime

        I used Granite Bay's GBTimelapse software to control the capture rate:
        http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/Product_gbt.aspx

        We have a very nice Nikon D-300 DSLR camera here, and I'd like to use
        that as my capture device, due to the high resolution. So far, I've not
        been able to find a fisheye lens that offers the full-inset circle
        capture needed for dome productions. Does anybody have a lead on this,
        or a pointer to more info? Any help much appreciated! Cheers,

        --ek
        --
        Eric Knisley
        Visualization Researcher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 22, 2008
          > We have a very nice Nikon D-300 DSLR camera here, and I'd like to use
          > that as my capture device, due to the high resolution. So far, I've not
          > been able to find a fisheye lens that offers the full-inset circle
          > capture needed for dome productions.

          Sunex 185 degree fisheye lens, see bottom of this page
          I use it with a Nikon D300
          http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/cameras/index.html
          [http://tinyurl.com/5fkxx2 --Moderator]
          And they have a VERY nice mount for 360 degree panos.
        • w_h_s_y
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 22, 2008
            Hi, I have a Nikon FC-E9 fisheye converter for sale which according to
            this page at least http://www.easypano.com/product_24_153.html is
            compatible with your 300D.

            Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in too..

            I'm willing to sell it (with UR-E12 adaptor) for £150 plus postage costs.

            Regards,
            Will
          • Eric Knisley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 22, 2008
              Paul,
              Thanks very much--this was one option I was looking at. Looks good! Cheers,

              --ek

              --
              Eric Knisley
              Visualization Researcher
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 22, 2008
                Thanks, Will, I've got this under consideration. I appreciate the quick
                response!

                I'm assuming from your email address you're in the UK. Can I ask where?
                I lived in Essex for a couple of years helping to start up Immersive
                Display UK, a dome company, before I moved back to the US in January.
                They're always looking for content capture options, so even if I don't
                wind up buying your convertor, they might. The URL:
                http://www.immersivedisplay.co.uk

                I'd be happy to introduce you, if you like. Cheers,

                --ek

                --
                Eric Knisley
                Visualization Researcher
                Renaissance Computing Institute
                211 Manning Drive
                Campus Box # 3455, 27599 mobile: 919-491-7406
                Chapel Hill, NC 27599 office: 919-843-8142
                done > perfect
              • Tom Casey
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22, 2008
                  The Sigma 4.5mm lens will work with the D-300... it is designed for
                  the smaller APS-size sensor... we've purchased them online for as
                  little as ~US$850... it's a fairly good lens in sharpness for the
                  12Mp the D-300 will give you.

                  Tom

                  On Jul 21, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Eric Knisley wrote:

                  We have a very nice Nikon D-300 DSLR camera here, and I'd like to use
                  that as my capture device, due to the high resolution. So far, I've not
                  been able to find a fisheye lens that offers the full-inset circle
                  capture needed for dome productions. Does anybody have a lead on this,
                  or a pointer to more info? Any help much appreciated! Cheers,

                  H o m e R u n P i c t u r e s

                  Tom Casey
                  President & Creative Director

                  100 First Avenue - Suite 450