"Passport" in Houston

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 7:28 AM
      If you never made it to New York City to see "Passport to the
      Universe," the inaugural production of the new Rose Center for Earth
      and Space, never fear. The show has ended its run in New York, but
      you'll have a chance to see it in its entirety (sans Zeiss, alas) at
      the 2002 Western Alliance "Space City Celebration" Conference in
      Houston, Texas.

      "Passport" will be shown on the SkyVision high-definition system
      during an evening session on Friday, October 18th. For more
      information on the conference, hosted by the Burke Baker Planetarium
      at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, visit the conference web
      site (http://www.hmns.org/space2002/), or take a gander at the
      updated schedule (http://www.rmpadomes.org/schedule.html) and
      complete rationale for attending
      (http://www.rmpadomes.org/letter.html) provided by Carolyn Sumners.

      The debut of "Passport to the Universe" at the 2002 IPS marked the
      beginning of broad distribution of the program. In 24-bit color and
      with a soundtrack remixed in Dolby 5.1 (although the Houston
      presentation will be in stereo), "Passport" is now available for
      leasing to any planetarium with an immersive video system. While
      Sky-Skan has kindly supported us in transferring the show to their
      format, we will be happy to work with any institution to support
      their immersive domed format.

      Those of you who attended the SkyVision Festival at the 2002 IPS in
      Wichita had an opportunity to see the lion's share of "Passport,"
      albeit with a few audio glitches that obscured some of the celebrity
      narration. The Houston presentation will be the first showing of
      "Passport" in its entirety outside of New York. The Rose Center
      production team has restored and reworked the "boot-up" sequence that
      began the original program -- newly reformatted for unidirectional,
      Zeiss-less theaters.

      We look forward to sharing our inaugural show with Western Alliance
      attendees in Houston, and I hope many of you plan to attend.

      Ryan Wyatt, Science Visualizer
      Rose Center for Earth & Space
      American Museum of Natural History
      79th Street & Central Park West